PDA

View Full Version : IMC Radio Calls

peregrineh
8th May 2012, 10:49
Hi All

Des anybody have a lnk or a file whcih they can send me of the correct ATC/Pilot calls for IMC flying. Say SRA, ILS, radio vectored ILS etc.

I apologise if there is already thread on this - had a quick look and could not find it!

Peregrine

Thatsthewaytodoit
8th May 2012, 11:13
Peregine
All you need is CAP 413 - exactly the same reference as for your initial TR Cources
TTWTDI

peregrineh
8th May 2012, 11:17
thanks very much am checking that out now

peregrineh
8th May 2012, 12:25
when you are on the ILS and you (the plane) have just called localiser established G-AB and the ATC goes G-AB descend on the ILS, ANH 1000 millibars

how do you the pilot reply to that instruction?

Thanks

Thatsthewaytodoit
8th May 2012, 12:42
It's all there to be found, have look at the CAP 413 Supplement CAP 413 Radiotelephony Supplement 1: A Quick Reference Guide to UK Radiotelephony Phraseology for Commercial Air Transport Pilots | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=2772)
on Page 14 you will find your answer.
There have been some recent changes to the phraseology in this area but the above covers it.
The answer to your query is "Descend on the ILS QNH 1000 Hetopascals G-AB

peregrineh
8th May 2012, 12:54
great thanks for that - although on the reference guide I only see departure clearnace on page 14! BUt you ahve answered the question anyhopw - thanks so much

Dave Gittins
8th May 2012, 12:55
Hasn't that changed to "Descend on glidepath ?"

Thatsthewaytodoit
8th May 2012, 13:13
Dave
That's what the Official 413 says, and is be correct, I thought that if perigrineh looked at the supplement it might help him.
CAP 413 is always the reference for the UK at least!
TTWTDI

bookworm
8th May 2012, 14:30
To complicate the picture further, note the following change effective 12 July 2012.

CAP 493 SI 2012/03 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=4953)

thing
8th May 2012, 16:19
It's usually 'Report glidepath descending' after you've given them cockpit checks complete and localiser established. I've never heard 'Descend on ILS' before.

southport
8th May 2012, 18:36
Hi Peregrineh when I done my imc I got the oxford IFR, RT cd rom & it was excellent. This really helped me & made it easy learning as it had each section of flight, departure, enroute & each type of approach, SRA, NDB,DME ect with the full RT. Along with cap 413 you can't go wrong.

2 sheds
8th May 2012, 19:42
Peregrineh

With respect, why are you not aware of CAP413 (UK only, I hasten to add)? That and the link supplied by bookworm are the references; I regret that there is much wrong information above.

2 s

Scottish.CPL
9th May 2012, 12:45
the best way to learn the best r/t for instrument / imc is to get a handheld radio and listen to the controllers..

JAKL
13th May 2012, 03:02
Very few pilots have read CAP413. Why? Because there are hundreds of pages of Zzzzzzzzz......

That's why the CAA introduced this:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/AviationGuideFinal20090917_LOCKED.pdf

Supplement 3, not the comercial pilot supplement, but the simple to understand PPL/IMC supplement.:D

Gertrude the Wombat
13th May 2012, 08:53
Very few pilots have read CAP413. Why? Because there are hundreds of pages of Zzzzzzzzz......
And those of us who work with protocol definitions every day can be immensely frustrated that this document seeks to be the definition of a protocol ... but never actually defines it!

If you try to teach something by example that's fair enough, provided you can pull the real definition off the shelf to resolve any issues, but you can't define a protocol by example.

bookworm
13th May 2012, 09:45
And those of us who work with protocol definitions every day can be immensely frustrated that this document seeks to be the definition of a protocol ... but never actually defines it!

If you try to teach something by example that's fair enough, provided you can pull the real definition off the shelf to resolve any issues, but you can't define a protocol by example.

If you think that's bad, try the standard phrases in CAP493 App E. The sad thing is, it really does matter how these things are used and interpreted, and no one seems to have come up with an unambiguous reference.