PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737 Open Wheel Well

WindSheer
6th May 2012, 21:23
Good evening,

Does anyone have any insight into the differences between open wheel wells (737) and closed wheel wells (most commercial jets).

I would guess there is a very slight drag penalty for the open well, but is this offset by the reduction of weight in not carrying well doors?

I have always ben intrigued as to why some, and in particular the 737 have the wheels exposed during cruise.

:ok:

john_tullamarine
6th May 2012, 21:34
I think that your explanation is likely on the money. In any case, considering the important things, how many folk can claim to have flown aeroplanes with hubcaps ?

chimbu warrior
7th May 2012, 06:50
Some of the very early 737's (100/200's I think) had an inflatable seal around the tyre to reduce drag, however as I understand it this system was found to be more trouble than it was worth, and Boeing dropped the idea.

I'm guessing the increased drag is minimal.

JT, most single-engine Cessna's have hubcaps so to answer your question..........lots of us! :8

bowlsclub
7th May 2012, 07:11
theres some usefull info in the link below

Boeing 737 Landing Gear Doors? — Tech Ops Forum | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/253791/)

captjns
7th May 2012, 08:09
Less moving parts and actuators means less weight... and overall less mx. Easier manual gear extension should the occasion arise requiring no electricity to boot.

Anyone remember the manual gear extension system on the good old B707 or B727?

At the end of the day, the increase in drag, which is minimal out weighs the additional costs associated with above in mind.

isaneng
7th May 2012, 08:54
As I'm still flying a B707, yes, I remember the manual undercarriage extension system! And don't lots of aircraft use hubcaps - often to impart rotational velocity information to their anti-skid systems?