PDA

View Full Version : Legal to fly after PPL revalidation?

FLTCO
4th May 2012, 07:21
Hi all,

I have been trying to get a hold of the CAA to ask but 3 mornings in a row and one hour later, no joy. Emails remain unanswered, hence my approach for collective yet unofficial info here...

Pardon the naive question but I have revalidated my SEP rating 3 weeks ago after it expired more than 5 years. I hold a UK JAR ATPL and am a current airline pilot.

Necessary training, oral exam and check flight all completed and paperwork send to the UK CAA.

I have a special VFR flight set for next week, can I fly legally or do I need to wait on the CAA's approval/paperwork? My license was not signed by the examiner and in accordance with the paperwork.

Thanks in advance

FTLCO

bingofuel
4th May 2012, 07:30
If your sep had expired more than 5 years ago, you did not revalidate it. You have to renew it, and as it is over 5 years it must be renewed by the CAA not the flight examiner. You will have noted the examiner did not sign off the rating page in your licence, so until the CAA issue you a new rating page with the sep added you do not have the rating.

FLTCO
4th May 2012, 07:38
Thanks Bingo,

You are correct in saying it was a renewal instead of a revalidation.

Let's hope the CAA will send me the new ratings page asap and on the telephone again with the CAA as we speak...

TractorBoy
4th May 2012, 07:41
I'm afraid you're not valid until you've got that piece of paper in your hand.

If you still want to do the flight, find an instructor to go with you - but it'll have to be as P/UT

FLTCO
4th May 2012, 08:04
Thanks Tractor,

Let's hope the CAA will not ruin my proposal to my girlfriend :) !

Cheers

Pace
4th May 2012, 08:36
FLTCO

As your obviously not a green new PPL and the nature of the request I am sure a word in the right ear in the CAA will fast track you ;)

Good luck with the proposal you should fly her to that Chateau in France with the landing strip.
An idea for a new thread "Romantic getaways"?
Tell us if the CAA are real people ???;)

Pace

FLTCO
4th May 2012, 08:44
Chateau in France with landing strip??? Please do tell...

Just spoke to the CAA, all papers are correct and in place but processing date set for the 18th of May !! :uhoh: (5 weeks after receipt) I will fly down to LGW on wednesday to apply for the same day license issue, no other way will sort it.
He did mention that my company could send a fast track request form but bit hard to justify for a PPL when you fly a B777 ;)

Cheers

BackPacker
4th May 2012, 08:52
I have a special VFR flight set for next week

You must have a crystal ball, knowing that next week is SVFR. You should work for the met office.;)

Pace
4th May 2012, 09:22
Never been there but know some who have.

Chateau la Chassagne near Dijon. It has its own grass landing strip in the grounds and they will come and collect you from the aircraft in a Roller.

Hotel Château la Chassagne : information and introduction for the castle (http://www.chassagne.com/cenglish.html)

Even found a link for you

discover Burgundy by air (http://www.aerodrome.chassagne.com/index1-gb.htm)

This is a link to the strip 800 metres not suitable for a 777 If the company decide to lend you one of those instead :E

Pace

FLTCO
4th May 2012, 09:39
@ Pace, thanks for all the info!

Would be a good back-up plan!

Cheers

Sir Niall Dementia
4th May 2012, 10:01
FLTCO;

Although PLD are impossible to get on the phone at the moment I've just renewed my ATPL, the new license arrived 10 days after I sent off the paperwork.

Maybe they're not answering the phones as they are on a big paperwork push.

You can also use the same day service if roster/ time/ geography allows.

SND

FLTCO
4th May 2012, 11:00
Well the CAA must be reading this forum....just received an email stating they have reviewed all paperwork and are missing a copy of the license of the examiner and the proof that he has "the authority" to examine my flying ???

I am trying to sort all paperwork and off to the CAA coming wednesday to hopefully sort it all...

Cheers all for replies.

Mariner9
4th May 2012, 12:03
What if she says no?

Could make for interesting CRM on the rest of the flight :ouch: ;)

flybymike
4th May 2012, 12:12
When I passed my driving test 45 years ago I was issued with a "pink slip" which allowed me to drive straight away without having to wait for the licence itself to arrive. When I got my FAA ticket I initially received a "Temporary Airman Certificate" allowing me to fly before receiving the actual licence. One wonders why the CAA cannot allow the same thing.

derekl29
4th May 2012, 12:23
FLTCO, good luck,

just as a casual observer, it all seems a bit mad that someone can be PIC of a 777 with several hundred passengers but can't legally take another passenger in a SEP until that bit of paper is in their hand.

FLTCO
4th May 2012, 12:29
@ Marinar9;

Haha yes indeed, provisions in place...if no, it will be a one way ticket on the day ;)

@ flybymike;

My thoughts exactly, especially as the ratings page will show date of test and not of issue, that's a months worth away already..

Genghis the Engineer
4th May 2012, 13:01
FLTCO, good luck,

just as a casual observer, it all seems a bit mad that someone can be PIC of a 777 with several hundred passengers but can't legally take another passenger in a SEP until that bit of paper is in their hand.

The point being that a 777 is a totally different handling environment to a light aeroplane, and the powers that be, not unreasonably, require a test and CAA confirmation, for somebody who hasn't flown a light aeroplane in the last 5 years.

Similarly that a multi-crew IR does not automatically map to a single pilot IR; the way you work in that environment is very different as well and should be (re)assessed. Hence presumably the SVFR [and I'm guessing possibly a trip to the Channel Islands??]

The stupidity isn't that, the stupidity is the time the authorities then take to process the paperwork.

G

FLTCO
4th May 2012, 13:10
Totally agree...and judging by my first flare at 30ft in a Cessna 172 after 12 years confirmed Genghis's motivation ;)

Fingers crossed for wednesday otherwise plan B is in place which involves a commercial flight to Italy :ok:

Pace
4th May 2012, 13:13
The point being that a 777 is a totally different handling environment

Ghenghis

Thought a 777 was just a 172 on steroids :E ???

FLTCO

Very pleased they are sorting it for you!!! all it takes is the right word in the the right ears which I am sure you have done ;) They are not a bad bunch really!!!

If she says no I suppose she will be hitching back from wherever? But then I am equally sure you have done all the pre flight calculations for this long distance flight so are pretty confident of the outcome.

Pace

taybird
4th May 2012, 20:58
Another option is be the passenger yourself and to choose someone who is a current PPL to take you on your trip!