PDA

View Full Version : PPL FI can teach for the LAPL but not the PPL

Mickey Kaye
2nd May 2012, 21:23
I have nothing against PPL instructors but a PPL without CPL TK can teach for the LAPL and not the PPL. Thats daft.

Haven't our world leading European aviation experts who drew this up noticed this

(b)additionally, for the FI(A):
(1) hold at least a CPL(A); or
(2) hold at least a PPL(A) and have:
(i)
met the requirements for CPL theoretical knowledge, except for an
FI(A) providing training for the LAPL(A) only, and
(ii)
completed at least 200 hours of flight time on aeroplanes or TMGs, of
which 150 hours as PIC

Whopity
2nd May 2012, 22:09
CPL knowledge is an ICAO requirement, this is not an ICAO licence. Microlight and gliding instructors have always taught without CPL TK and if we go back to pre 1989, most UK instructors did not have TK hence the BCPL (R).

Whilst CPL level knowledge might be useful, do the current exams actually teach that? The quality and relevance of the exams has steadily declined and the proposed EASA exams are not fit for purpose!

Haven't our world leading European aviation experts I don't think any aviation experts have been involved in the process, just rule making mechanics lead by an Engineer called Cluzeau!

If the EU Parliament and EASA were eliminated, would anyone actually notice their absence? I doubt it.

Mickey Kaye
4th May 2012, 07:50
But to teach for the LAPL you HAVE to be an ATO. No rf in there right mind will pay the fees to become a ATO before they have to so April 2015.

Come 1st of july rf will not be able to teach for the LAPL but will still teach for the NPPL/PPL but if the candidate then decides to apply for a LAPL the powers that be will give them one.

Would I be correct in thinking that this will result in no PPL instructors till April 2015 ?

Whopity
4th May 2012, 11:05
No rf in there right mind will pay the fees to become a ATO before they have to so April 2015.Which means the CAA will be inundated with work at the last minute and unable to cope. No anticipation or forward planning in evidence! I am told you get 5 hours work for your £1000 and then its charged at £174/hour.Would I be correct in thinking that this will result in no PPL instructors till April 2015 ?I presume you mean LAPL instructors; sounds about right. There are PPL instructors now.

They were going to issue new PPL exam papers last year but that has also fallen into disarray.

sapperkenno
18th Dec 2013, 20:46
CPL knowledge is an ICAO requirement
So why won't EASA or our CAA accept ICAO CPL knowledge, as opposed to EASA/JAA specific CPL TK?
If it's an ICAO requirement, then surely ICAO is happy that all ICAO CPL knowledge holders are kosher, and it shouldn't be up to national aviation authorities to decide otherwise. :ugh:

Whopity
18th Dec 2013, 22:23
Perhaps I used the wrong word, it is an ICAO "recommendation" rather than a requirement. Whether ICAO is happy or not has no bearing on the matter. It is for each ICAO State to show its compliance with recomendations as it thinks fit. EASA is not even an ICAO signatory. However; watch this space, it may not be long before a lot of things are recognised.

S-Works
19th Dec 2013, 09:27
No rf in there right mind will pay the fees to become a ATO before they have to so April 2015.

i don't know where you get this from. According to my Inspector they are going through the process like its going out of fashion at the moment. In fact the CAA's issue is they do not have enough Inspectors to do the inspections.

this is the reason the fixed fee template manuals have been issued. if you use them then you will be automatically accepted without inspection.

Even for those of us who were TRTO/FTO's and converted to ATO's it was not a particularly painful process. There was little to change other than creating the SMS which took me a couple of goes but is now approved and running.

I suspect that the people it will hurt is the one man bands stuck in the past and unprepared to change.....

Whopity
20th Dec 2013, 06:46
According to my Inspector they are going through the process like its going out of fashion at the moment. Because, since my last comment they have reduced the fee from £1000 to £100!
this is the reason the fixed fee template manuals have been issued.Not really, they have been in the pipeline for many months and long before the amemded fee structure was ever thought about. if you use them then you will be automatically accepted without inspectionOnly if you are already an RF, exactly the same process as existing FTOS, if you are a new boy on the block you have to be inspected!

S-Works
20th Dec 2013, 07:43
You do have an inane ability for going off at a Tangent Whoppity.

I was responded the original comment that stated no RTF was going to convert until 2015.......

How long did it take you guys to convert your approvals at OT?

Whopity
20th Dec 2013, 12:45
No RF in their right mind whould spend £1000 until they absolutely had to; no doubt the CAA realised this eventually and changed the charging system to circumvent them all arriving on the same day. I'd still like to see the numbers of RFs actually applying as oposed to FTOs updating to ATOs. The impression that I got at a roadshow was that most would be waiting rather than rushing into it. Regarding inspectors, they have largely shot themselves in the foot by alienating most of their former staff and changed the working conditions for the new ones so that nobody really wants to do it. All their problems are entirely predictable. Simple facts, nothing tangential.