PDA

View Full Version : iPad EFB ADS-B

PT6A
2nd May 2012, 01:09
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcWtSb2ops7o%26feature%3Dyou tu.be&feature=youtu.be&v=cWtSb2ops7o&gl=ES)

Anyone know if they are or plan to broadcast this information via ADS-B outside of the US?

ATCast
7th May 2012, 09:51
That youtube link doesn't work, so I'm not sure what information you mean.

ADS-B (over 1090 MHz, same frq as SSR/ Mode S replies) will transmit position (lat, lon, alt), velocity (track angle / groundspeed), flight ID and a number of other things. This flavour of ADS-B is mandated in Europe for aircraft with a MTOW>5700 kg or cruisespeed > 250 KTAS after December 2018 (January 2015 for newly built aircraft)

In the US there is an alternative ADS-B technology available over another frequency (978 MHz) which is aimed at aircraft operating below 18000ft. It transmits similar data from the aircraft.
On this frequency another service is hosted as well, called FIS-B (Flight Information Services- Broadcast) , which can provide weather (text & graphics), NOTAMs and ATIS.
As far as I am aware there are no plans to provide this service anywhere in Europe, and the 978 MHz frequency is used for DME at the moment.

PT6A
7th May 2012, 12:17
I just checked the link... Should be working?

ATCast
7th May 2012, 12:42
Not sure, but I think you link to your own account/ playlist / history.
The link usually look likes this format:

h_t_t_p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIDEO_CODEYour link is different and does not link to a video for me.

Edit: decoded your link: was this the one you meant?

PT6A
7th May 2012, 17:51
Cheers,

So the question is.... Is this going to be a US only thing? They have better weather information than we do on a professional and certified class II EFB!