PDA

View Full Version : EASA TAKING SOMETHING ELSE AWAY

Aware
28th Apr 2012, 08:41
As an GR Examiner who does a lot of PPL exams , the addition of the 'R' part of the rating was very usefu, to sign off SEPs will little cost to the licence holder as I rarely charged, unless I carried out the hourly flight. I see now the rating under EASA will have the revalidation authority removed for EASA licences. Not the end of the world but annoying never the less, as it proved to be a very useful authority. Maybe I will just go ahead a get the flight examiner
rating with EASA ?

Anybody know what are the costs of the flight examiner rating are, and what is involved ?

S-Works
28th Apr 2012, 09:12
Generally a four day course and flight test with the CAA. Budget around £5-6k.

Spending on what you want to do with depends on where you start. PPL FE gives you testing privileges for the PPL. CRE will give you the ability to do Class and SPA Type Ratings and IRE. You can hold both and they have some overlapping authority.

Make sure you get them co terminus with your Ground Examiner or you will get stung for an out of cycle revalidation fee!

It is a very challenging course and the test is particularily difficult as you are observing a CAA pilot who naturally flys to an exceptional standard so it makes it hard to pick up on mistakes for the debrief and theass/fail decision.

Before on embarking on it make I would make sure that you can justify the outlay and the recurring costs in terms of return as an Examiner is expensive to maintain especially when you have multiple ratings on it. If you are just looking to regain the R part it will be a very expensive excercise.

Aware
28th Apr 2012, 15:33
Thanks don't think I could justify cost of that, so will just carry on with the PPL exams and send them over to a suitable examiner for sign off.

blagger
28th Apr 2012, 16:28
Bose - what course are you talking about? FE PPL is only 2 days and should be less than £2000 at very most. Totally agree you need to look how much trade you will get though as there are already a lot of examiners around.

EASA also means that any renewal will have to go back to the CAA which is a total pain, unlike now when we can sign up if less than 5 years past expiry.

S-Works
28th Apr 2012, 22:08
Blagger,

The course is dependant on the contents of the approval letter from he CAA which varies in duration. The CAA flight test is £1600 on top of that. With the training and flight test you ca expect to be doing four days.

The figure I have quoted is sadly in the correct ball park by the time you add everything up.

Whopity
29th Apr 2012, 12:09
the contents of the approval letter from he CAA which varies in durationAnd where in Part FCL is this requirement? Examiner Courses are at FCL1015 and there is no requirement for selection, so no more Approval Letters. Appointment is based upon experience and completion of an approved course and demonstration of competence. Half as easy, twice the cost!

madlandrover
29th Apr 2012, 14:47
bose-x: I think you're perhaps answering a question the OP hasn't asked. You're entirely correct for the CRE/IRR process, but not for the FEPPL process. The costs for FEPPL at the moment are £338 for the application, then by arrangement with a FIE for the course & dummy test. Future EASA changes will require the course to be done at an ATO, but still by a FIE, with more flight requirements than at present. As a guide, the FIE I work for charges £400 for the course & test, with aircraft hire for the test on top.

Aware
29th Apr 2012, 15:55
Thanks for the replies - So at 338 + 400 + 180 (2 hrs PA 28 group I teach for) it can be done for under a £1000. So I guess skills test are charged at 150.00 so 6 tests and its covered the outlay. Maybe worth that for me as I just started part time at a school where one of the examiners has hung up his boots.

Who does such courses ?

ifitaintboeing
29th Apr 2012, 18:56
ONTRACK AVIATION LIMITED (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/ppl-fe-se-me.htm)

Whopity
29th Apr 2012, 19:13
or any FIE until that's taken away!

S-Works
30th Apr 2012, 09:32
Madlandrover, Yep I was confusing the two. Corrected by ifitaint!!

Now of course it does beggar the question why the CRE is so much more complex and expensive?

Whopity
30th Apr 2012, 11:19
Because it is seen as being sponsored by a company and they can afford to pay. Its a bit like a franchising fee!

madlandrover
30th Apr 2012, 22:32
No worries bose-x, it's the difference between Examiners who've come up through the FI route like me and those who've gained authorisation for company ops :) my authorisation was a lot cheaper but relies on a shrinking PPL training industry to make it financially worthwhile!