PDA

View Full Version : Don't let Bagby Airfield be closed by a bunch of antis

nigelh
24th Apr 2012, 06:57
Bagby Airfield has been serving the north for many years . Private flights , military , the business community, jockeys and owners and also HEMS . I remember flying my old Bell 47 in for fuel when I was a lad .."a great old fashioned uniquely British airfield .......not if the council have anything to do with it ......dark forces are at hand and they are using every trick in the book to try to close it for ever . New residents who bought in the full knowledge of the airport are complaining of the noise of maybe half a dozen movements a day .
There is an appeal is being heard at 10 am Tuesday 22 May at Hambleton District Council and you can fly into Bagby and get a lift . ( I will be flying in to help give the councillors a black eye ...)
If you cannot go please just take 2 mins to represent the flying community and give your support ... It only takes a minute and one day you may be very pleased to have Bagby to divert to or get fuel .....
Slowly but surely all our little country airfields are being closed down and soon we will have no choice but to go into the bigger airports for fuel ....wear their stupid little yellow jackets to make them feel like they are Heathrow , walk miles to pay , go through security etc
Send a short letter of support to [email protected] and they will forward it to the council .
Anyone who turns up can do a barrel roll with me in the 109 after a fat boy breakfast :D
Don't be typical aviation types and do nothing ..... Look at the CAA ...!!!

Savoia
24th Apr 2012, 10:04
.. wear their stupid little yellow jackets ..

Wretched things I admit.

By the way, one should question the sincerity of these safety elves .. I mean they validate these colourful vests based on their ability to 'expose' the wearer to greater visibility - all good and well. But the next logical step, surely, would be for them to insist that those walking about airside should don a flashing beacon upon their head for not only would the beacon's visibility be aided by being mounted at the highest point of the 'object' but it would provide even greater warning and awareness than the colourful vest.

We have already seen that looking hideous is a non-issue for the safety elves so, logically, the head-mounted flashing beacon should pose little problem in terms of implementation!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-c5nX0NDgzck/T5ZnYp9cymI/AAAAAAAAIrw/lb6U4SxlEIE/s289/Pilot%2520Hat.png
Those wandering airside should (if one follows the importance of 'visibility' to its logical conclusion) be made to don flashing lights upon their heads and which, with the wonderful high-vis vests, will complete the airside-ensamble

Back to Bagby ..

Nigel I do wish you the best with this fight. It is indeed sad to see some of the smaller airfields being closed.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WXsf-FN_gHI/T5Zc8YKZrCI/AAAAAAAAIrs/8Dtsd8K0rQg/s0-d/Bagby%2BMalcom%2BCalrke.jpg
Paul Smith's Agusta built Bell 47G-4A G-GGTT sails into Nigel's Bagby Airfield (Photo: Malcolm Clarke)

John R81
24th Apr 2012, 10:14
Emailed on the address given

griffothefog
24th Apr 2012, 10:25
Damn good cause... Done :ok:

flybymicro
24th Apr 2012, 11:10
Further to Nigel's post - Thanks Nigel - Please include your postal address and a contact telephone number when submitting your support to the [email protected] address. We'll hold these personal details only until your support has been registered on the online planning portal (we can't submit your support without these details). Thank you for the support received so far ! But please KEEP IT COMING !!

OR you can go straight to the planning portal if you wish by following this link:
Case Summary for APP/G2713/C/11/2165522 (http://www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk/pcsportal/ViewCase.asp?caseid=2165522&coid=2099730)

Please copy this link and send it to everyone in your address book who is pro-aviation

(Why would you have anyone in your address book who wasn't !!!)

Thank again for rallying round us.
Steve. Airfield Manager Bagby - EGNG.

Up & Away
24th Apr 2012, 12:10
As a Helicopter Pilot Flight Training Registered Facility last year at Bagby we complied with all noise restrictions imposed!! The village doesn't appear to be 'reasonable'. Bagby airfield was there before the village population arrived. G

muffin
24th Apr 2012, 14:50
Done. Glad to be of help

nigelh
24th Apr 2012, 15:52
Well done everyone !! If we can get at least 100 notes of support I will promise not to be antagonistic on PPRuNe any more !!
For once I will be proud to be part of our aviation community ..... It really is not a lot to ask for people who give a damn to send a short message of support ....come on guys just one good deed ??
Thanks again Nigel

Clitheroe Kid
24th Apr 2012, 16:08
Done. Been into Bagby several times. A great little field. Lets do what we can to save it.

Steve.

oldjetbox
24th Apr 2012, 16:23
Good call Nigel - use it for fuel regularly. Have you posted this on a planks forum? - may get a few more.

outofwhack
24th Apr 2012, 16:33
Email sent.

OOW

SilsoeSid
24th Apr 2012, 18:11
Bagby airfield was there before the village population arrived.

Is it true that Bagby village is in the Domesday Book, recorded as Bagebi (Baghebi)? I guess that by saying 'arrived' you probably meant 'was born', regardless of their families historic link to the area. :E

SWBKCB
24th Apr 2012, 20:54
Two sides to every story?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/thirsk/9660324.Bagby_Airfield_inquiry_criticises_Hambleton_District _Council/

SilsoeSid
24th Apr 2012, 20:56
Is this really as we are being told according to nigelh?

Bagby Airfield has been serving the north for many years . Private flights , military , the business community, jockeys and owners and also HEMS . I remember flying my old Bell 47 in for fuel when I was a lad .."a great old fashioned uniquely British airfield .......not if the council have anything to do with it ......dark forces are at hand and they are using every trick in the book to try to close it for ever . New residents who bought in the full knowledge of the airport are complaining of the noise of maybe half a dozen movements a day .

As always there are 2 sides to a story and as nigelh brought it here, IMHO solely in order to get support in his point of view from a sympathetic aviation community, I thought it deserved looking at it from the 'official' side of things.

Friday 20th April 2012
"A COUNCIL lost planning control of a controversial airfield, doing local residents an “injustice”, a damning report reveals today.

Action4Refusal, which represents residents in Bagby and Thirkleby, near Thirsk, North Yorkshire, complained to the local government ombudsman that Hambleton District Council did not control the use of Bagby Airfield, which overlooks the A19.

In a report published today, ombudsman Anne Seex said the authority had repeatedly failed the villagers since the airfield’s original owner, Phillip Lassey, retired in 1997.

Ms Seex said the council granted planning permission for 40 take-offs and 40 landings a week at the grass airstrip in 1980, but specified flying had to cease when Mr Lassey stopped occupying the site.

She said as the council’s planning officers did not take any action to stop flights when Mr Lassey retired, and never monitored its use due to a lack of resources, it led to a situation where the current owner, Martin Scott, was able to assert immunity from the 1980 restriction on flight numbers.

The ombudsman said despite residents repeatedly alerting the council to alleged planning breaches, it did nothing to regain planning control until the end of 2007.

Ms Seex said planning control at Bagby Airfield had been particularly important as the Civil Aviation Authority could not regulate its use and there was no power to enforce against air noise.

She said: “The council’s maladministration caused residents the injustice of disturbance from flights and a sense of frustration and apprehension about the possibility of uncontrolled expansion.

“Losing planning control over the use of land as an airfield is an extreme and most serious failure of planning administration.”

Ms Seex recommended the council to consider launching a discontinuation order at the airfield. She also said the authority should give £5,000 compensation to both Bagby and Thirkleby for community projects.

A council spokeswoman said councillors would discuss the report in June before responding to the ombudsman.

Stephen Hornsby, of Action4Refusal, said campaigners were satisfied with the ombudsman’s findings, that a compromise solution to issues at the airfield was unacceptable and that the council’s politicians needed to start exercising control over officers.

Mr Scott, meanwhile, said he sympathised with the council’s officers and had no concerns over the airfield’s position.

A public inquiry is due to be held next month into numerous alleged unauthorised developments at the airfield."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/thirsk/9660324.Bagby_Airfield_inquiry_criticises_Hambleton_District _Council/

This thread reminds me of 2 things;

1. Around these parts, there is a group that wish to reopen an old railway line. This group seem totally ignorant of the housing estates and roads that have been constructed since the line closed in 1968 due to dwindling passenger numbers. Almost every week one of their number is in the local rag saying, "All the people that I talk to are in support of reopening the line".

2. In New York last year I was walking past the Occupy Wall Street campaigners camp and overheard someone watching the goings on say, "All they do is sit in there all day massaging their own egos."

Can't see the wood for the trees.

Et voilà

ShyTorque
24th Apr 2012, 21:16
Too many "straightforward to use" refuelling stops like Bagby are disappearing.

It's important to realise that jobs in the rotary world are at stake if we can't provide the required service to the customer at a reasonable price.

Things are difficult enough as they are, so best we support our own industry, not just roll over and let others have their way. Costs at the larger aiports are escalating fast, some to a ridiculous level. The more small airfields there are, the better.

SilsoeSid
24th Apr 2012, 21:29
I guess it doesn't help when they call themselves;

"Bagby International"
http://www.bagby-airfield.co.uk/

nigelh
24th Apr 2012, 21:55
there is always one isn't there !:rolleyes: well done Silsoe you didn't let me down .....why don't you just go there and speak to the people flying out of Bagby ? Why not find out the true story ? Why not find out about the room that had aircraft records in .....apparently against the new "rules" .
I imagine you just fly in the N Sea or something like that and are happy that this will not directly affect you ... So be it . Luckily for us there are others here who really value these few small airfields left dotted around our countryside , without them our industry will get far harder with far more expensive places for fuelling , less places to pick up pax who are not fortunate enough to have big gardens to land in or fields ....they have apparently even banned emergency flights :ugh:
I have no doubt that the operators are very happy to keep to a limit on movements in order to be able to carry on but it appears the locals will complain even when a plane flies over regardless of going into the airfield . We all know what NIMBY,s are like ......I'm guessing you are one .
Anyway once again thank you for your support if you feel you can help and to those who don't .....don't whine ever about the state of our industry and the lack of facilities suitable for small aircraft !!!
Ps Thanks Savoie for the "Nigel's airfield " but sadly I have nothing to do with it ....I did however fly in in a red Bell47 G3B 1 about 30 yrs ago on the way to go crop spraying !!!!
Silsoe says. "as nigelh brought it here, IMHO solely in order to get support in his point of view from a sympathetic aviation community". Well No Sh*t Sherlock :D:D. How incredibly perceptive of you .....

misterbonkers
25th Apr 2012, 01:11
SILSOE STRIKES AGAIN!!!

Silsoe - are you actually an aviator? Or maybe your current role in life has sucked all that flying passion out of you! Regardless of what has gone on, Bagby is a great little place.

The local residents have even complained about the 'noisy' Air Ambulance that was based there - forcing it to move elsewhere.

NigelH - please could I suggest you start an ePetition at number 10?

'Bagby International' is a long standing name because for such a small strip, some aviators departed quite far across borders.

AngleWold
25th Apr 2012, 01:35
Bagby airfield was there before the village population arrived

Savoia
25th Apr 2012, 05:03
.. "Nigel's airfield " but sadly I have nothing to do with it ..

You do now!

Will send a letter of support today.

tigerfish
25th Apr 2012, 07:17
Done mine & received an acknowledgement!

tigerfish;)

nigelh
25th Apr 2012, 07:45
Thankyou to everyone who has sent a note with their details .....every single one that arrives helps ..... So I ask the question ...
If you haven't bothered to send a note it must be for a reason ( apart from just being completely un interested and lazy !!)
If you have NOT supported the airfield would you say here why not ? It would be interesting and only fair to hear your reason for refusing to take 1 minute out of your day to send an email which could save an airfield ......as I said earlier the added benefit of a lot of ppruners sending messages is that I will refrain from my habit of winding up the likes of TC and Bravo ( you two are v quiet about this !!)
In future ........
Keep up the good work ........Nigel

nigelh
25th Apr 2012, 08:02
I quite understand now why Silsoe couldn't give a damn , understandable really as this doesn't effect HIM ..... He flies for the police in the W Midlands and therefore really has no interest in GA . In that case Sils don't ever come on here and complain about PAS or any other Police flying matter as quite frankly the rest of us don't care :ok: I think you may be more sympathetic if you lost your job and had to do pax work cross country rather than hovering over the Bull Ring !!!!!! I just KNEW what type you were ....... Funny that .

A.Agincourt
25th Apr 2012, 08:08
SillySod must be bored again, I wonder if he ever manages to leave EGBB without being fire bombed:} He clearly knows absolutely nothing of the situation at Bagby and I'll wager has not been there, Is this really as we are being told according to nigelh? well actually there there is a lot more to it and it all probably stems from a pair of nimby's moving into Thirkleby some years ago. [I think nimby's ought to require planning permission to move to an area where there are a number of active military airfields]. Curiously, these complainers do not complain about the noise of military aircraft using the LL route through the CMATZ which is so close to them. :mad:

Best Wishes

SilsoeSid
25th Apr 2012, 08:42
there is always one isn't there ! :roll eyes: well done Silsoe you didn't let me down .....why don't you just go there and speak to the people flying out of Bagby ? Why not find out the true story ?

Yes there is always one nigel.
If you came on here and asked us to vote for your sisters, cousins, uncles, nephews, Chihuahua that was doing a turn on X Factor, I'm sure a lot of us would spend 50p and give it a vote. However when dealing with local politics and asking us to support your side, I for one would like to know 'what is what'.

Please do tell us the true story. The way I see it at the moment is that there has been a long history of a breach of planning regulations. If however that is not the case, I will be more than happy to give you my support.

SilsoeSid
25th Apr 2012, 08:47
mrbonkers;The local residents have even complained about the 'noisy' Air Ambulance that was based there - forcing it to move elsewhere.

Are you sure about that?
...or is the true story that YAA had the wool pulled over their eyes by being promised buildings etc to operate from, yet later found out that planning permission wasn't in place to be able to offer them?
Rather than get involved with the muddied local politics going on there and any potential repercussions resulting from them, they then pulled out !

Just to show how things are being manipulated;

Plea to save air ambulance base (From York Press) (http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9258441.Plea_to_save_air_ambulance_base/?action=complain&cid=9679018)
A GIRL whose life was saved by the Yorkshire Air Ambulance has appealed for a re-think after councillors launched enforcement action at the service’s only base in North Yorkshire.

Charlotte Leighton, 16, who was flown to hospital with horrific injuries after a road accident in 2006, in Tollerton, ten miles from Bagby, said the air ambulance’s rapid response had saved her life and called for a re-think.

Her father, Colin, said: “Response times are critical and if you can knock five or ten minutes off a journey that is critical. This decision would appear to be a bit pig-headed.”

The fact that the YAA's move out of Bagby to Topcliffe placed the aircraft closer to Tollerton has been conveniently ignored :=

SilsoeSid
25th Apr 2012, 09:00
Bagby airfield was there before the village population arrived.

And here's me thinking the Domesday book was written before 1903 :roll eyes:

AA
SillySod must be bored again, I wonder if he ever manages to leave EGBB without being fire bombed :} He clearly knows absolutely nothing of the situation at Bagby and I'll wager has not been there,

That's why I have asked nigel to enlighten us.

Are the airfield changes and operations within the planning permissions given? In other words, will we be supporting a legal cause or are we trying to bully our way into getting the airfield as we want it and used more than the expired permission of 40 take offs/landings a week (5/day)

Just on the basic ac movements issue, nigelh tells us in the first post; "New residents who bought in the full knowledge of the airport are complaining of the noise of maybe half a dozen movements a day."

A search by the solicitors when buying a house in the area would find that aircraft were not allowed to operate from Bagby anymore as the planning permission had expired. It's quite clear that even despite the permission not existing anymore, 12 a day is more than twice the number that the airfield used to have permission for.

I am more than happy to support Bagby, but I wouldn't like to think i am having the wool pulled over my eyes. :=

SilsoeSid
25th Apr 2012, 09:39
nigelhI quite understand now why Silsoe couldn't give a damn , understandable really as this doesn't effect HIM .....

Not at all, far from it. I do care about issues like this, all I am asking is the common courtesy from you of being told the full story before I put my name to a cause. Who knows with NPAS kicking in, chances are I could easily even more than now, find myself at an airfield such as Bagby with a severe need of a suck of gas and a bacon bap.

Sils don't ever come on here and complain about PAS or any other Police flying matter as quite frankly the rest of us don't care :ok:

That's why it's on its own thread with 20,700+ views :ugh:
And by the way, just to get the record straight, I have and have never had any complaints whatsoever with PAS.

Senior Pilot
25th Apr 2012, 10:05
I feel like the schoolteacher dealing with a bunch of primary school kids when a thread degenerates like this :ugh:

Either get back to the topic and stop squabbling or I'll wrap your knuckles with a very big ruler :E