PDA

View Full Version : FAA Instrument Foreign Pilot exam

achimha
23rd Apr 2012, 08:20
Hi,

I'm going to take the FAA IFP exam soon to be able exercise my EASA/JAR IR privileges in the US. From what I understand, the various training applications contain the official question database and there won't be any surprises in the actual exam.

Has anybody taken the test recently and can confirm this?

Thanks!

S-Works
23rd Apr 2012, 08:51
Thats correct, the FAA questions are public domain. The Dauntless software even mimics the FAA test mode.

this is my username
23rd Apr 2012, 10:13
Dont be surprised if there are one of two questions you haven't seen - sometimes they add in extra questions to test them, sometimes there may be new questions which your training material hasn't caught up with. Either way it shouldn't materially affect the result.

peterh337
23rd Apr 2012, 11:29
When I did the FAA IR in 2006, I found the online QB to be good but perhaps only 80-90% accurate.

It was believed the FAA is continually and gradually changing the QB.

Same with the various JAA IR QBs which are also of similar accuracy though for different reasons.

But all the QBs contain runs of very similar questions which is why a QB which is 80% accurate can yield a high pass mark.

achimha
23rd Apr 2012, 14:29
Do you know whether they provide you with a pocket calculator? I don't have a E6B "computer" and prefer to the wind calculations trigonometrically.

this is my username
23rd Apr 2012, 15:35
When you take the test the software includes an electronic E6B which does all the wind calcs etc for you.

For the FAA IR I used the ASA test prep books (which contain the question databases) and the ASA practice exam software which also provide you with the necessary endorsement beofore you take the written exam. The ASA software includes an electronic E6B with the same functionality (but not the same front-end) as the one you have in the exam.

Your test centre will be able to advise you on the type(s) of calculator allowed.