PDA

View Full Version : Something good from EASA?

DB6
22nd Apr 2012, 19:50
Incredible as it may seem; ORS4 No. 896: The giving of instruction for remuneration by the holder of a United Kingdom Private Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=4965)

What am I missing?

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Apr 2012, 20:38
Nothing, we've known this was coming for a year or so - but well spotted. I don't think many knew that the final exemption had been issued.

G

'India-Mike
22nd Apr 2012, 20:48
Interesting. Implicit in the 'PPL' is the fact that the medical certificate will be class 2 presumably?

Hypothetical situation - BCPL(A) on a Class 1 with OML that nonetheless allows Class 2 privileges. Currently can't take payment. Could he/she now take payment?

Well, kind of hypothetical...:ok: But it isn't me!

Whopity
22nd Apr 2012, 21:49
Could he/she now take payment?Yes.
Have you not read the CAA FAQ (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2330/g-FAQ%20FEB12_280212.pdf) Q11 re the BCPL and forthcoming changes?

'India-Mike
22nd Apr 2012, 22:02
I don't have a BCPL so haven't read the relevant item. Curiosity on my part...

Aware
23rd Apr 2012, 09:07
That now seems good news. I have just renewed my class 1 to renew my JAR CPL to EASA CPL in August. After this may I then drop down to a class 2 and my PPL and still teach and get paid ?

I am still in the dark about CPL knowledge for a PPL holder. Is this still a requirement for teaching EASA PPL ? I thought you could receive money but just for LAPL instruction without the CPL knowledge ? Curious because I sometimes sub contract work out to other instructors with a PPL.

BEagle
23rd Apr 2012, 09:52
I am still in the dark about CPL knowledge for a PPL holder. Is this still a requirement for teaching EASA PPL ?

Yes it is.

Talkdownman
23rd Apr 2012, 12:57
Hypothetical situation - BCPL(A) on a Class 1 with OML that nonetheless allows Class 2 privileges. Currently can't take payment. Could he/she now take payment?
Probably not hypothetical (...if I knew what OML meant).
Could be me: BCPL(A)(R) + FI + Class 1 Med. After 6 months I drop down to embedded Class 2 Med privileges whilst suspending acceptance of remuneration. The above exemption will permit continuous remuneration on Class 2 which, ISTR, was the status quo pre-Oct '88 within a 'club environment'.
This (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_IN-Info%20for%20independent%20flying%20instructors160412.pdf) will affect a lot of peripatetic FIs...

dobbin1
23rd Apr 2012, 15:40
Does "training for the issue or renewal of a rating" include the one hour flight with an instructor required to revalidate the SEP rating?

S-Works
23rd Apr 2012, 16:11
It would appear so, reading literally. The LAA have just issued a notice to coaches to say that they are covered by the LAA RTF approval and soon to be ATO.

Whopity
23rd Apr 2012, 17:46
Does "training for the issue or renewal of a rating" include the one hour flight with an instructor required to revalidate the SEP rating?No it does not. To complete the one hour training flight the pilot must be current so it is a revalidation and not an issue or a renewal.

S-Works
23rd Apr 2012, 18:18
Good point Whopity.

bookworm
23rd Apr 2012, 22:55
Quote:
I am still in the dark about CPL knowledge for a PPL holder. Is this still a requirement for teaching EASA PPL ?
Yes it is.

Indeed. But not mentioned in ORS4 No. 896. Hmm. Is this a gift horse?

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Apr 2012, 23:22
ORS4 896 is not there to define the requirements to become an instructor, which are all elsewhere.

It does, however, seem to be broader than previously expected and seems as worded to encompass pretty much all instruction, not just towards a PPL which seemed previously to be the case.

It will make the CPL irrelevant now to anybody who has no remunerated flying interest beyond instruction. Presumably however, that was the intention.

G

Mickey Kaye
24th Apr 2012, 07:29
"Have you not read the CAA FAQ Q11 re the BCPL and forthcoming changes?"

Which state all BCPL (unrestricted) will become UK CPL (and thus have inbuilt IMC privileges) and thus in due course will convert to EASA CPLs.

So am I correct in thinking that those BCPLs (unrestricted) holders who upgraded their BCPL to JAR CPL by obtaining sufficient training in a complex type (a type that they had never flown in and in all probability never will do) and then passed a CPL LPC in the same complex type with a CAA examiner.

They did this in order to obtain a JAR CPL because the written information at the time stated that if they did not do so then there would be no upgrade path in the future and would in given a EASA PPL even though they once passed the valid for life UK CPL theoretical exams.

So they have in fact wasted the best part of 4 grand or in part time flying instructor wages their income for the next two years. For a licence that they will now be given for nothing.

Aware
24th Apr 2012, 13:58
Yes they will get a UK CPL but as I understand a national licence will only allow you to instruct in annex 11 aircraft.

I had a hybrid JAA CPL issued on the strength of UK CAA (14 yes 14 CPL exams ). I retook my exams for advancement of my aviation career but due to the recession I am unable to complete my IR, (just cant justify the expense) and with the IMC remaining dont really need one, but I used the exams to upgrade the hybrid CPL to a full JAR CPL so some use to taking more exams. I also have got more into ground school so that also helped.

I was told that my licence would have only been valid on annex 2 aircraft because without the JAR upgrade it would have reverted back to UK CPL.

If you really want to laugh I have been told if EASA dont allow the IMC to be added to the EASA CPL as an IR(R), the CAA will reissue me a UK CPL to place the IMC on, so back to where I started pretty much.

What a bloody mess this all has become.

Do you remember on PPRUNE instructors section all the questions used to be about instructional technique, students and flying in general, now it is all about legislation, sad really.

Biggiebigbig
24th Apr 2012, 14:43
wishful thinking , but it seems they've already addressed it:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2330&pagetype=70&gid=2134&faqid=1303

Note 1: There has been some confusion over whether current UK FI ratings will be convertible to equivalent EASA ratings because Part-FCL requires CPL theoretical knowledge examination for the FI, and this was not required for the existing ratings. The position is that CPL theoretical knowledge is required to obtain a new FI on an EASA licence; but it is not required if the FI is granted under the conversion rules to a pilot who already holds a valid FI under national rules who complies with the Part-FCL experience requirements.

Note 2: Under Part-FCL the holder of a PPL with FI rating may be paid to give instruction for the PPL and LAPL. Schedule 7 of the Air Navigation Order is being amended to allow the holder of a UK PPL(A) with FI to be similarly remunerated for providing instruction.

outofwhack
7th May 2012, 15:51
What about helicopters? Will you be able to instruct for $$$ on a PPL(H) with suitable rating in the UK ?