PDA

View Full Version : Hunter in the Solent - 40th Anniv

execExpress
22nd Apr 2012, 09:13
Most of Lee's jet movements in the early 1970's were generated by NATIU (Naval Trials Installation Unit) situated in the `T2' hangar (Overlord) adjacent to the Main Camp. At that time NATIU were modifying Hunter GA.11s for Fleet Requirement duties with FRADU at Yeovilton.

This year sees the 40th Anniversary of an event by which an immaculate and NATIU modified Hunter departed Lee for delivery to Yeovilton for FRADU's use - but it never got there, being "delivered" instead to the Royal Navy Air Accident Unit (located at Lee) by means of spashdown in the Solent itself, recovery by floating crane and barge, use of the slipway at Fleetlands and road transport from there back to Lee for accient investigation.

The RN ferry pilot received only minor injuries and flew again soon afterwards. In fact he didn't even get his feet wet. The accident cause was found and the Hunter was written off - ending up with the UK Atomic Energy Authority in a laboratory at their Lightning Studies Unit, at Culham near Abingdon.

At the end of it's time at Culham - itself a former Royal Navy Air Satation (RNAS Hornbill) - the by now also heavily 'lightning striked', damaged airframe was to be disposed of. Normally it would have been scrapped but as aviation enthusiast Mr Dave Webb had shown interest in the aircraft sometime previously he was contacted and alternative arrangements were made. Today the immaculately restored Hunter cockpit section is exhibited at various aviation events by Mr Webb.

So it is, that this weekend, by this even more circuitous route, the Hunter is set to return to Lee YET AGAIN! The cockpit section will be on display at Lee's Hovercraft Museum Open Days on Sat/Sun 28/29th April. It is planned that the aircraft's last pilot, Lt Mike Sharp, will be re-united from the cockpit he ejected from four decades ago and share his experiences.

To help fund the appearance of the Hunter Cockpit at the open day Mr Bob Wealthy of Solent AeroMarine has produced a
pamphlet (£3) telling the story of the accident, including pilot and eye-witness accounts, plus photographs of its recovery and the story of the cockpit restoration. It is an interesting read.

It is of course now perfectly possible to fly in to Lee these days - no PPR required by the Airfield Operator FlyBN (02392 551714). Visiting Pilot Guide (PDF file) is at: http://www.eghf.co.uk/images/stories/Documents/FromFlyBN/lee%20on%20solent%20visitors%20guide%20april%202012.pdf or google "Lee Flying Association" and see the "Visiting Pilot" link.

The Hovercraft Museum is 100 yards from the Tower so if you'd like to visit the Hovershow Open Day(s) by air you can - do have a look at their excellent event page at Hovercraft Museum Charity Website (http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/).

The Gosport Aviation Society and Lee Flying Association will be setting up table-top displays inside one of the two massive ex-cross-channel Princess Class Hovercraft (shown arrving at Lee here SRN4 Hovercraft Arrival Lee-On-Solent 2000 - YouTube) so please stop by and say "Hi".

airborne_artist
23rd Apr 2012, 06:18
The Hunter cockpit is well worth a view. I know it well as Dave Webb is a neighbour of mine, and I was able to put him in touch with Mike Sharp.

oag
30th Apr 2012, 05:08
Dave's a good mate of mine too and although I've seen WV381 on numerous occasion would like to be pointed in the direction of any phoots from Saturday on the good ol' www please

Next outing for WV381 will be on Thursday when Dave helps me(the village postie)to help some local Cub Scouts in Chilton with their Aeronautics Badge and then next weekend WV381 will be on Public View at the 13th Annual Abingdon Air & Country Show on Sunday 6th may.....as AA has already said Dave has done a great job with the "Culham Hunter" so try to searchit out if you can

Colin