PDA

View Full Version : Demo Flights

RedsBluesGreens
17th Apr 2012, 10:29
Hi all,

I hope to be taking a few demo flights of various aircraft in the near future. I've only had one before but it was with a friend, so it was more like going for a jolly.

Just wondered what to expect? Do I sit LH/RH? Is the time loggable? How much would it likely cost? I would like to do most of the flying, but will it be the company pilot just showing off?

Any advice would be much appreciated - I don't want to seem like a total numpty!

RBG

Pitts2112
17th Apr 2012, 11:02
You've already declared yourself a numpty with a comment like "just the company pilot showing off."

If you want demo flights, best to go to your local flying school and buy an introductory lesson. If you're thinking about getting demo flights in new aircraft or aircraft for sale by owner, unless you're a serious buyer, I don't think you'll have much luck.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2012, 11:14
Learn to fly first with an instructor at a flying school if you are considering buying.

Demo flights for purchase are best left to people who know something about flying already. If you are seriously considering a purchase, get somebody with significant experience of this sort of flying to do the flight, and sit in the back and observe.

G

RTN11
17th Apr 2012, 11:48
Really not clear what you're actually asking.

From your profile you have a PPL, which would imply you are on about demo flights with a view to buying the aircraft, in which case you wouldn't be offered a flight unless you were pretty serious about buying, and then you would be free to fly the thing, check slow flying/stall characteristics, and any other general handling items which would be relevant to ownership of the aircraft. If you're just looking to get some time, not sure who will be offering such flights, and I don't see you would be able to log this.

If you're looking to experience flying other aircraft, and are actually on about flying with an instructor, this would be perfectly standard on a type you have not flown, and you could log the time as P U/T. If your club has other aircraft you have not flown, it would typically be a "check out" with an instructor. Depending on your experience it would be an hour or two covering everything from General Handling, PFL, and landings to make sure you are happy with the aircraft before you go off on your own.

In either case, I cannot see anyone "showing off" but any pilot would be trying to demonstrate what the aircraft is capable of.

silverknapper
17th Apr 2012, 12:58
If you're worried about trivialities such as who logs the time then I suggest you are just a time waster who will raise up some unsuspecting owner/broker/salespersons hopes in a very lean market to 'get a shot' of a nice aircraft.

RedsBluesGreens
17th Apr 2012, 19:09
I should have made my OP clearer. I am currently a PPL flying an AC11. I have been offered a couple of demo flights by a couple of companies selling aircraft. Since the only demo flight I have had was for the Rockwell, and that was with an instructor friend, I was merely asking for other people's experiences in a more professional situation. Sorry if some of those questions may seem 'trivial' to some, but I am not a time waster.

I wonder why so many people don't post on here because they're always worried they're going to have their head blown off for asking a question.

Mariner9
17th Apr 2012, 19:51
Quite why anyone would think a poster evidently being aware of the implications of LHS/RHS flying, time logging, knowing about "a jolly" and saying he would like to do most of the flying is someone who would need "an introductory lesson" or "is best left to someone who knows about flying" is beyond me.

If its a manufacturers demo, chances are you'll be able to fly in the LHS. If its a private sale, the Owner will likely sit LHS.

Time logging will likely only be possible if the demo pilot is a QFI.

You'll probably only get the flight for free if you buy the aircraft!

silverknapper
17th Apr 2012, 19:58
Well you did ask. and stupid phrases like ' pilot showing off' or 'can I log it' don't really show you in a good light.

Are you actually in the market for a new aircraft?

RedsBluesGreens
17th Apr 2012, 20:14
Yes I did ask, but I didn't think my questions were 'stupid'. I don't really know anything about demo flights, hence why I was asking for people's advice.

I asked about the 'company pilot showing off' because I don't fancy being taken up by someone who just does barrel rolls and stalls and won't let me near the thing in a real life situation.

I asked about logging the time because regardless of how short the time is, or what I actually do on the flight, I wouldn't mind putting them in the logbook. I don't need the hours (or minutes, more likely), but I am happy to pay for the demo, so why shouldn't I log it?

I wasn't specifically in the market (although I do keep an eye out now and again), but I was approached by a couple of companies who think I might like to try out their aircraft after I made a casual inquiry, so I am giving them a go.

Maoraigh1
17th Apr 2012, 20:20
I've only had demo flights when seriously intending buying. What are you wanting from the purchase? That decides what you do. What the seller wants to do doesn't matter. I've never logged such a flight.
After a friend's horrible accident many years ago, slow flight and stall characteristics are always a priority for me. (i.e handling near touchdown - tested at altitude)
And if it's not new - check the log books. Then get a suitable engineer to check it and the log books.

bingofuel
17th Apr 2012, 20:31
The seller wants to sell you an aeroplane. However you will have certain requirements that you will want your aeroplane to fulfil.

A good company demo pilot should sit down with you, discuss your requirements and how well his product can fulfil them. Whether you can log the time P1 depends on whether you have the class rating on your licence and any appropriate differences training, and the owner is happy for you to sign the tech log as pilot in command.
However, if the company pilot holds an instructor rating you could log p u/t if you are not qualified. If neither then you are a passenger.
I would suggest a thorough brief as to what you want to accomplish from the flight, and who will do what.
Hope this helps.