PDA

View Full Version : Fixed wing to flexwing

Ph1l
16th Apr 2012, 13:23
Ive just bought a Pegasus flexwing microlight with a friend, to help get him flying cheaply and for me to learn some new skills. I'm not entirely sure which model, Q XL maybe? My friend has done all the legwork getting it and permit etc. Ive also got a share in a Europa Monowheel which is all I have been flying since getting my PPL about 60 hours ago.

I know I will need training to fly it, but Id be quite interested to hear others experiences of flying microlights from fixed wing, the training process, feel or just any useful or interesting comments from those that have done it.

I have to say Im quite nervous of flying a flexwing, but at the same time keen to learn new skills :O

Genghis the Engineer
16th Apr 2012, 13:43
In order of increasing performance and sophistication you may have a:

Pegasus XL-R ("XL")
Pegasus XL-Q ("Q")
Pegasus Quantum
Pegasus Quik.

I started on 3-axis microlights, added flexwing, then "group A" and now after a break of mostly "group A" flying have just returned to flexwing again.

Performance is sparkling on the ground compared to anything you've flown before, and sluggish in the air. Expect to rarely need more than 200m of runway, and average (depending upon model) 40-80 knots in the air (pretty much 40/50/60/80 down the list above).

Is it intuitive? No :* Will it take long to learn? No :) Maybe 6-12 hours conversion time depending upon how much needs unlearning.

You will learn what your arms are for and develop muscles where you didn't know you had them, how to get every piece of information you need onto your chart, a completely different set of checks - which you will do from memory because there's nowhere to put a checklist, and a different way of handling.

You'll also learn the joys of doing 3 hours flying on a sunny afternoon, and running up a total bill of Ģ60 for MOGAS.

You want to get yourselves:-
- A couple of jerry cans
- A large filter funnel
- A very warm flying suit (look online at Ozee)
- A special flexwing kneeboard (Flylight make the best one)
- A helmet each
- Special headsets suitable for a microlight*
- Motorbike gloves

ALSO make sure you have had your instructor give you lessons in rigging and de-rigging, as well as flying.

Needless to say, you want to join the BMAA, and I'd recommend spending some time going through the manuals to learn about the care and maintenance of microlights, and in particular of your Rotax engine. You've just stopped paying somebody else to do all that :D

G

*PM me if you are in need, I have a couple of sets cluttering a cupboard up.

magpienja
16th Apr 2012, 22:20
All of above...and make sure you warm the rotax 2 stroke thoroughly before you even think of going to full power,

I have the 503 version on mine and give it at the very least 10mins of ground running...upto at 2500-3000rpm

Its all to do with avoiding a situation call cold seize where the piston warms to quickly for the cooler cylinder,

Treated with care the 2 stroke is a smashing bit of kit,

A good oil measure is handy for getting the oil mix right if you don't have oil injection 50/1...goes without saying keep all funnels-measures very clean...I keep mine in old pillow cases...and try not to leave fuel to go stale in the tank if not going to be used for a while,

Pick your brand of 2 stroke and stick to it...Rotax used to recommend fully synthetic...but theses day they recommend semi synthetic unless the engine is going to be used daily...fully synthetic is not supposed to protect against internal corrosion as well as semi synthetic oil...I use Rock Oil PP2,

Some type of oil don't mix to well with other types of oil and can form a goo in the system,

Flexwings can be a handful on the ground in higher winds...your instructor will explain,

Just in case you don't have the a/c manual you can download them from the aircraft maker P+M Aviation,

PM Aviation - Microlight flying and Ultralight Manufacturing (http://www.pmaviation.co.uk/downloads_new.php)

And goto downloads,

You will love it...the view from a flex is unparalleled.

Nick.

Barshifter
17th Apr 2012, 08:50
Ph1l

Most of all......prepare to smile once again...

The XL/Q range of flying machines are all about the smile factor!!

Why have speed when you can have comfort and time to enjoy this thing we calll aviation.You can see twice as much for half the cost!!

Smile smile smile!!!

Welcome back to the fun side of flying!!

Ph1l
17th Apr 2012, 09:01
Thanks for the comments guys, the 2 stroke motor does concern me a little. I used to do a lot with high performance 2 strokes and know how sensitive they can be, although i do love the smell of 2 stroke!

Next stop BMAA and I may take you up on the headsets :)

Oh and its the XL-Q with a 447.

Barshifter
17th Apr 2012, 09:07
XLQ/447 great litle machine.Loads of lift if you are solo.447 is pretty bomb proof.50:1 fuel/oil mixed in yer jerry can prior to fuelling will see you safe.

Never seen anyone run one on Castrol R so that beautifull smell i think you are reffering to may be a thing of the past....

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2012, 09:40
Not a lot of engine for the aeroplane, but a lovely aeroplane to fly.

You'll find it a lot of fun solo, but occasionally a bit limiting 2-up.

That said, I did a lot of hours in a 447 engined Raven before the engine died and I upgraded it to a 503, which improved an already very nice aeroplane. My 447 engined Raven used to burn around 8 litres/hr solo, 12 2-up.

Sooner or later the engine will die on you. And unless you've fluffed your training completely, you'll calmly land it on a pocket handkerchief, get a lift home to get the trailer, and just chalk it up as another flying experience.

When you get past about 250 hours on the crankshaft, investing in a Skydrive "conrod bearing tester" is a really good idea to monitor internal wear. And don't skimp on oil - pick a good variety and stick to it. Silkolene and Shell Advance VSX 2-stroke seem the most common "good" oils.

And be aware that the most expensive bit of the aeroplane is the sail. Look after it, and minimise the UV exposure.

G

Ph1l
17th Apr 2012, 10:55
Ah yes, Castrol R....that brings back some memories! Ive always preferred the semi-synthetics, Shell always used to be one of the best and Rock Oil, as they don't cause so much oiling up but do a better job than the pure synthetics.

I am looking forward to the open cockpit and lower speeds and getting a chance to get some good aerial photos with no screens to cause problems, being even cheaper than the Europa is good too!

Thanks for the comment on the conrod bearing tester, I think the engine is approaching 500 hrs, what kind of life would you expect from one?

Any thoughts on anything i should be aware of on the wing, common problems etc?

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2012, 11:08
The engines last forever, but the crankshafts are essentially "on condition" from about 300.

Change the plugs every 25 hours regardless (they're cheap and it's an easy job) and check for carbon on the pistons every 50.

All of this however is in the Rotax manual. Follow the minimum permitted by the manual and you should do well. Don't over-service them.

G

Ultra long hauler
17th Apr 2012, 11:58
[QUOTE=the 2 stroke motor does concern me a little.
[/QUOTE]

At out club we have 2 Apollo Delta Jetīs, 1 with a 2 stroke Rotax Blue Head but the other is powered by a 100 HP Rotax 912. (!!!).

Needless to say, the latter is overpowered and the increased weight makes for similar cruise-performance to her Blue Headed sister.
Having siad that, the 912 powered one is hard to beat when it comes to T.O performance!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3820316/Screenshot%202012-04-17%20om%2006.51.41.jpg

###Ultra Long Hauler###