PDA

View Full Version : Routing request EDFV to Skegness/UK

fliegerbasti
16th Apr 2012, 11:49
Hi all,

I am planning a VFR flight from EDFV to a private field near Skegness (east coast of UK). The shortest way would lead me via Belgium, which is normally totally fine. The bad thing is that I am planning to fly with a SF25B Falke motorglider and have no transponder (no ModeC, no ModeS) onboard. I already searched the web to find one to rent, but there is none (yep, a new business idea). As I will most certainly fly non-stop, I need some advise, which route is best to take through Belgium if one has no transponder.
As far as I know, I don't have to land at an airport to file customs (Schengen...). If someone has another opinion or remark, please tell me.

I hope, I will receive some good advise.

Navigation will be done with Jeppesen map, compass and a Bendix-King AV80R GPS.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sebastian

rich_g85
16th Apr 2012, 11:53
Sorry to sound unhelpful, but in what way is this 'Rumours' or 'News'? You'd get a better response posting this in Private Flying - hopefully someone will move it soon before you get jumped on :-)

pilot999
16th Apr 2012, 12:55
Thats because it's a rumour that he may actually do it.:) and now He/She has told us "Its news"

mixture
16th Apr 2012, 14:29
pilot999,

Naah.. the rumour is that there are people out there who still want to visit Skegness. The news is that we've just found someone. :E

AircraftOperations
16th Apr 2012, 14:51
As UK isn't part of the schengen agreement, wouldn't you be required to land at an airport of entry in the UK?
Unless you pre-arrange a clearance with the authorities.

BackPacker
16th Apr 2012, 15:45
Transponder not required in Belgium as long as you stay low.

From the Belgium AIP, Section ENR 1.6:

2.1.2 CARRIAGE
The carriage and operation of mode S transponders with Basic Functionality is mandatory in the Brussels FIR/UIR airspace
for all aircraft operating:
• in class C airspace
• in all MIL controlled airspace
• in class G airspace for VFR at night.
An exemption to this rule may be granted, provided that the request is made before the flight to the authority having jurisdiction over the airspace concerned.

Note that class C airspace in Belgium essentially covers the whole country, in some places from 1500' MSL upwards. Without a transponder you're going to have to duck beneath that.

To land in the UK without going through a port of entry, you need to fill in and fax the General Aviation Report (GAR) form at least four hours in advance to the appropriate authorities.

I cannot find anywhere current&official whether EDFV is an airport of entry (either H24 or PPR). My old Bottlang suggests that it has customs with PN but that info might be outdated. But this page suggests that it has no customs whatsoever:

AIRPORT Flughafen Flugplatz Pilot (http://www.airports.de/index.php?option=com_mtree&Itemid=72&task=viewlink&link_id=474)

Also no mention of customs on its webpage.

But you cannot leave the Schengen area (or the EU for that matter, but that's not relevant in this case) without going through such an airport, or by reaching an agreement with immigration somehow.

Jan Olieslagers
17th Apr 2012, 06:13
Be aware that in Belgium a good part of the airspace is activated on weekdays as military training area. For instance, check EBD037 which is active if and when EBBE is. Your low flying is perfectly possible - ultralighters do it all the while - but will work far better in the weekends. Even then, check the notams for activity of danger areas such as EBD06, this one is occasionally active even in weekends.

On weekdays, your problem will be crossing the north-south line Antwerpen-Brussel-Charleroi - this will have to be done either north of Antwerp or South of the Florennes CTR. Or you could try the corridor between Antwerp and Brussels CTR's, but then indeed below 1500', and be warned the place is marked as a military low flying area. And make sure of your whereabouts, CTR infringements will not be appreciated.

Another narrow corridor is right on entering into Belgium, between Liege and Beek CTR's. I got the recommendation to talk to Beek Tower even if staying (just) outside their CTR.

If you want customs clearance - as I believe you must - EBKT Kortrijk might be a good choice, as it is in uncontrolled airspace. A phone call in advance is always a good idea, and officially mandatory.

Oh, and do talk to Brussels information on 126,900 while flying; they're generally a helpful bunch. Prepare your R/T though, the frequency is often too busy for stammering and other uncertainties.

For checking Notam's and weather, you might wish to create an account at Belgocontrol - Air Traffic Safety: Our Mission (http://www.belgocontrol.be) - quick and straightforward.