PDA

View Full Version : Putting an IMC rating onto a JAR CPL on conversion from a UK CPL

Staple
15th Apr 2012, 18:36
Has anyone converted their UK CPL (With no IR), to a JAR CPL and included an IMC rating on it?
The way I read it is that you would have to renew your "Pre CPL" IMC rating to have a new one issued along the guidelines in LASORs for IMC rating renewals or is there a simpler way?
My partner is an instructor with a UK CPL rating, her licence expires in a few months and it seems sensible given the impending changes to convert to a JAA licence. She doesn't teach IMC and only has the rating for her own use but is concerned that she may lose grandfather rights for IMC privileges in the future if she just renewed her UK CPL.
Are there any other instructors out there in the same position?

Whopity
15th Apr 2012, 19:14
Look at the Presentation (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2330/Transition%20to%20EASA%20March%202012.pdf)on the CAA website. Towards the end, there is a statement re their intention for the IMC rating. As she already has the privileges on her UK licence, it should not be a problem. I have seen a lot of JAA CPLs where the IMC rating appeared automatically.

BillieBob
15th Apr 2012, 19:29
It is already too late to obtain a JAA licence with an IMC rating included in it. As of 8 April, all JAA licences are deemed to be EASA licences and an IMC rating cannot be included in an EASA licence. If your parter obtains a JAA CPL, it will be necessary also to maintain the UK national CPL in order to retain IMC rating privileges. The UK national CPL, including the IMC rating, will remain valid on all EASA aeroplanes until 8 April 2014 (and for non-commercial purposes on all EASA aircraft that fall within the privileges of the LAPL until 8 April 2015). Consequently, it is probably not worth obtaining a JAA licence prior to 30 June as it will be valid for only 5 years and will then need replacing (at extra cost) with an EASA licence - better to wait and apply for the non-expiring EASA licence after 1 July.

Whopity
15th Apr 2012, 20:00
Not according to the CAA:For pilots who obtain the IMC Rating before 1st July 2012, the CAA
proposes to retain the privileges on an EASA licence for EASA
aircraft by entering on a Part-FCL licence the following:
“IR(Restricted) - Restricted to the privileges of the
Instrument Meteorological Conditions Rating specified in
the United Kingdom Air Navigation Order”
This is subject to a review by the EASA Standardisation
Directorate.

BillieBob
15th Apr 2012, 20:14
I note 'intends' and 'subject to review'. It may very well happen in the way the CAA 'intends' but, right now, the law is as I stated.

BEagle
16th Apr 2012, 06:38
BillieBob, you are wrong. You need to consider derogation.

See http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2330/Interim%20Statement%20UK%20IMC%20RATING%20February%202012%20 V1.pdf

The 'Presentation' on the CAA website is rather poor - it is badly laid out, too all-embracing and confusing. People should instead refer to the documents at EASA Licensing and Training Transition | EASA Transition | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2330) and keep an eye out for any updates.

BillieBob
17th Apr 2012, 21:23
Beagle, that is yet more jam tomorrow and contains nothing that negates my earlier post. Who was it that recently posted, "No-one can give you any written assurances at this stage"?

The law as it stands today is precisely as I previously stated. Like you, I hope that the CAA's 'intentions' will be translated into action but, unlike you, I have yet to be convinced.

BEagle
18th Apr 2012, 06:50
Elsewhere you admit that you were not aware of the CAA's derogation, yet you choose to ignore what they've said with regard to its application here.

All you are doing is causing unnecessary fear and concern. Why??

S-Works
18th Apr 2012, 07:32
Elsewhere you admit that you were not aware of the CAA's derogation, yet you choose to ignore what they've said with regard to its application here.

All you are doing is causing unnecessary fear and concern. Why??

Because its what he does..... Read his pattern of posting. A classic glass is half empty kind of guy!