PDA

View Full Version : Wales - Mach Loop.

Ozgrade3
13th Apr 2012, 11:48
Been watching some vids in my down time of the military fast jets going round the Mach Loop low flying area in Wales.

How is the airspace organised around there, ie is it a restricted area. Can someone fly the course in a GA aircraft.

I'm from Oz and cant quite get my head around UK airspace.

Also, can someone explain how an airway, down the middle of class G in the UK can be controlled airspace, such as between 2 VORs. How does a GA aircraft, that may have no aids work out where the airways are and thus where the contolled airspace is.

Whats the best reference on the net to get my head around all this.

750XL
13th Apr 2012, 11:51
I could be wrong, but I believe the Mach Loop is 'closed' to military jets until September due to a pair of breeding Ospreys?

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2012, 12:08
Aviation Photography - UK Low Flying System (UKLFS) (http://www.targeta.co.uk/low_level_uklfs.htm)

G

magpienja
13th Apr 2012, 13:28
Well its in an area of AIAA so I suppose that's a cover all.

Talkdownman
13th Apr 2012, 13:36
can someone explain how an airway, down the middle of class G in the UK can be controlled airspace, such as between 2 VORs
Nope. Especially as Class G is uncontrolled airspace. Did you have anywhere in particular in mind...?

How does a GA aircraft, that may have no aids work out where the airways are and thus where the contolled airspace is
By Visual Navigation using an appropriate chart.

ShyTorque
13th Apr 2012, 15:27
I think it's more a case of class G either side of the Class A airway, rather than the other way round!

Most GA pilots fly below the airways (at least, the ones flying simple or non-equipped aircraft do) so it's not a major problem.

UK airspace is quite complicated and generally speaking it's not getting any easier, except in that a few MATZs have been recently dis-established, but they weren't mandatory for civilian aircraft in the first place. In some cases, usually around major airports, it's quite difficult to work out what's where; even the CAA charts are difficult to decipher because they are congested with other necessary detail.

Talkdownman
13th Apr 2012, 16:49
CAA charts are difficult to decipher because they are congested with other necessary detail
.....and unnecessary detail.....like MATZs...

mad_jock
13th Apr 2012, 21:32
Usually VOR roses actually which always seem to go over an important bit.

But then when you take them away it causes other issues.

Dan Winterland
14th Apr 2012, 02:50
This is a more realistic explaination of the UK low level system.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb73/dbchippy/aircrew_map_of_uk.gif