PDA

View Full Version : FAA private pilot test advice

Speedbird777
11th Apr 2012, 21:20
I'm planning to take my FAA private pilot knowledge test sometime over the next few weeks. I plan to use the Jeppesen test guide. A couple of questions-

1) how long would you recommend I study for (I'm a pretty fast learner - currently planning on spending a solid week -evenings during week and then several hours each weekend day)?

2) is the Jeppesen test guide sufficient? If not, anyone recommend anything else?

Cheers!!!

AdamFrisch
12th Apr 2012, 03:12
If you just want to ace the tests and the oral and cram, get the Gleim books. They're what everyone uses for that purpose and work very well. If you need a deeper understanding and want for your own sake to refresh themes, then Jeppesen or the FAA book is very good. The FAA book is also available for free as a pdf on the website.

this is my username
12th Apr 2012, 04:46
I used the ASA Test Prep books for all of the FAA tests - it was cheap and I preferred the layout and paper quality to the Gleim. ASA also have an online practice test facility which works well.

I already had quite a bit of aviation knowledge before I started; I went through each test prep book twice and then did a load of practice tests.

patowalker
12th Apr 2012, 05:32
You can test yourself here Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org/)

peterh337
12th Apr 2012, 08:24
I used the ASA book+CD too.

The FAA PPL theory is easy except for the hard bits :) There is an awful lot of US-specific stuff e.g. abbreviations used in the Airport Facility Directory.