PDA

View Full Version : Lympne.

GQ2
6th Apr 2012, 01:43
During the 1930's, Lympne had been a thriving airfield and had hosted many meetings, trials and air-races. Private Civil flying was banned upon the outbreak of war in 1939. On the 15th August 1940, the airfield was attacked by the Luftwaffe and the hangars destroyed. Although some civil a/c had been evacuated to Sywell and other locations, many aircraft were destroyed inside Lympne's burning hangars.

I'm looking for photos taken at Lympne airfield in the 1939 - 1940 period, in particular which show resident a/c, especially in the hangars. I'm also especially interested in any images of the damaged hangars after the German raid of 15th August.

Any photos or leads to them would be much appreciated. :)

GQ2
27th Apr 2012, 22:27
Any photos taken at Lympne just before the War...? Especially the resident a/c...?

sycamore
29th Apr 2012, 12:13
Try a search on Flightglobal archives...

chevvron
30th Apr 2012, 10:59
Two 'elderly gentlemen' returning from a visit to a French airfield in a non-radio aircraft, with the intention of refuelling at Lympne. Crossing the channel, they were discussing how to pronounce the name 'Lympne'. They couldn't agree, but decided to ask the refueller when they landed.
They duly landed and re-fuelled then asked the re-fueller the question.

He looked at them in rather a puzzled way and said 'Shoreham'!

I'm told this is a true story; I'm sure I read it in Pilot magazine about 30 years ago.

T-21
30th Apr 2012, 11:21
Best book is "Lympne Airport" in old photographs by David G. Collyer ,1992 by Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd Phoenix Mill,Stroud,Gloucs, A softback book 60 pages retails at £7:99p.
On page 104 there is an aerial view of the aftermath of the bombing raid.

GQ2
13th Jul 2012, 21:57
T-21;- Thanks for that. I have had that book for some years, but I'm really looking for closer detail of the damage etc.
The wartime magazines were not really allowed to show damage.
Perhaps there are some other books....

Noyade
13th Jul 2012, 22:28
I'm looking for photos taken at Lympne airfield in the 1939 - 1940 period, in particular which show resident a/c, especially in the hangarsI was going to try this photo in What Aerodrome a while back, until I discovered Lympne had already been covered.
Unfortunately it is captioned as 1926. Possibly illustrated in the book above?

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9607/img080it.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/i/img080it.jpg/)

GQ2
16th Jul 2012, 00:49
Thanks for that! The date looks about right, judging by the ladies fashions. What smart hangars, I wonder how old they were at that time...? (The hangars I mean...) :)

lenhamlad
16th Jul 2012, 04:24
My wife recently bought me a copy of Detling Airfield - A history 1915-1959 which was published last year by Amberley Publishing and written by Anthony J Moor. Given the relative proximity to Lympne, the author might have some info that might be useful.

cj241101
21st Jun 2017, 08:53
My only visits to Lympne (Ashford) were in May 1969. Does anyone have any aerodrome charts for this period? i.e. after the tarmac runway was built. Thanks for any help.

RLinSW4
21st Jun 2017, 09:39
"Two 'elderly gentlemen' returning from a visit to a French airfield in a non-radio aircraft, with the intention of refuelling at Lympne. Crossing the channel, they were discussing how to pronounce the name 'Lympne'. They couldn't agree, but decided to ask the refueller when they landed.
They duly landed and re-fuelled then asked the re-fueller the question.

He looked at them in rather a puzzled way and said 'Shoreham'!"

The one I heard was a wartime american bomber limping home and deciding to land at Lympne and as they taxied in asking the same question to a man cutting the grass and getting the answer "Manston".

Rosevidney1
21st Jun 2017, 10:58
Yes, yes and yes again - but how should Lympne be pronounced?:confused:

treadigraph
21st Jun 2017, 11:24
"Lim" is how I always understood it to be pronounced.

chevvron
21st Jun 2017, 11:51
My only visits to Lympne (Ashford) were in May 1969. Does anyone have any aerodrome charts for this period? i.e. after the tarmac runway was built. Thanks for any help.

Shortly after this it was re-named 'London/Ashford'.
Skyways coach/air ran '748s from Lympne to Paris (Beauvais) and were regulars on London Info, as were the Carvairs on the Southend - Rotterdam services of BAF(?) when I was an assistant at West Drayton from Mar '69 to Sep '71.
I think Skyways were taken over by Dan Air in 1972 who terminated the service in 1974 and regretfully, Lympne was officially closed to commercial operations although it was still used by some private aircraft until 1984 (according to Wiki) and in the early 80s, Pat Luscombe based his developments of the Luscombe 'Rattler' and similar types of microlights there.

Rosevidney1
21st Jun 2017, 18:26
Thank you, treadigraph. I rather thought that might be the case, but it's nice to have confirmation. :ok:

Allan Lupton
22nd Jun 2017, 16:48
"Lim" is how I always understood it to be pronounced.
I've known both "lim" and "lime" and this limerick seems evidence for the latter:

There was an old fellow of Lympne
Who married three wives at one tympne.
When asked "why the third?"
He replied "one's absurd,
And bigamy, sir, is a crympne."

Allan Lupton
22nd Jun 2017, 17:49
But:
There was an old fellow of Lympne,
Who said "How I wish I was slympne!"
So he lived for two weeks
On a nut and two leeks
And that was the last heard of hympne.

treadigraph
22nd Jun 2017, 17:54
Brilliant! Thanks Allan!

We are all agreed it's not Limp Knee (of which I have two...)

Planemike
22nd Jun 2017, 19:58
Limp-knee.....!!!! LOL

Helen49
30th Jun 2017, 16:41
Didn't Skyways manage to land a 748 upside down at Lympne? A Sunday evening if I recall and caused by a strong gust under the port [?] wing at a critical moment. If I remember correctly a National newspaper photograph gave a whole new meaning to 'strap-hanging'! Sometime mid 1960s?

No serious injuries if I seem to recall.
H49

Super VC-10
30th Jun 2017, 17:10
As one of the Men of Kent, I can confirm that Lympne is pronounced the same as limb.

Fournierf5
5th Jul 2017, 14:56
. . . indeed they did, 11 July 1965. A search for "G-ARMV accident" on Flickr will reveal a couple of pictures and and press cuttings . . .

thegypsy
5th Jul 2017, 18:30
I have no idea how I pronounced it when I went there around 1971/3 in a HS125. All I remember was the runway was rough ( or was it my landing? )

No not my landing as take off was rough too a bit like Moscow in winter in the late 70's

oftenflylo
6th Jul 2017, 11:37
Did you use the grass?

lotus1
7th Jul 2017, 07:05
Didn't Paul McCartney upset the locals in the early 80s while performing in Europe would fly. Home late at night in a hs125 in to lympne or lydd also some good shots of lympne on you type

thegypsy
8th Jul 2017, 13:52
oftenflylo

Maybe that was the reason:{

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Jul 2017, 14:46
<<also some good shots of lympne on you type>>

Where, please?

lotus1
9th Jul 2017, 12:30
Ref Heathrow director type in lympne airport on main page of YouTube there are a few frames of both lympne and also lydd there is a shot of a skyways 748 taking off which says its lympne I beleive this to be lydd but may be wrong hope this helps

Lancman
9th Jul 2017, 14:43
Doesn't the Roman name Pontus Lemanus come from the earlier Greek "Limani" (note the 3 syllables!) meaning port or bay, which Lympne once was?