PDA

View Full Version : A320 Cabin Fans

falcon77
12th Mar 2012, 21:03
It has been observed that duct temperatures are significantly reduced during hot weather operations by selecting the Cabin Fans OFF when using external conditioned air. This is not a FCOM procedure so I wonder if any operators use this technique to help keep the cabin cool when using external air.

rudderrudderrat
13th Mar 2012, 08:41
Hi falcon77,

The duct temperature may be lower (by not mixing the external conditioned air with cabin air in the mixer unit) but the cooling effect on the cabin is no better.
You're not introducing any more colder air are you?
Do you do the same in flight to get the same effect?

FLEXPWR
13th Mar 2012, 14:35
Acrually you may decrease the cooling efficiency by turning off the cabin fans, and increase consensation/water dripping at the oultlets in very humid conditions.
I prefer to have a lot of lightly cooled air, rather than a trickle of very cold one. I guess it works a bit like the chilling factor, even the same temerature air from a strong fan can cool you down after all.

Of course they are noisy...but hey, hard to get something from nothing!

:ok:

FLEXPWR
13th Mar 2012, 14:36
Actually you may decrease the cooling efficiency by turning off the cabin fans, and increase consensation/water dripping at the oultlets in very humid conditions.
I prefer to have a lot of lightly cooled air, rather than a trickle of ice cold one. I guess it works a bit like the chilling factor, even the same temperature air from a strong fan can cool you down after all.

Of course they are noisy...but hey, hard to get something from nothing!

:ok: