PDA

View Full Version : Defect Avoidance and Defect Tolerance

hval
17th Feb 2012, 10:19
I was gobsmacked yesterday; jaw on the floor thing; nearly fell of my seat.

Was in an all day meeting where Defect Avoidance & Defect Tolerance was rasied as being something totally new! This was with senior persons who, I am sure, should already have been aware of this.

I mentioned JSP 518 (Regulation Of The Naval Nuclear Propulsion Programme), HAPM, TQM, Crosby, Deming, Astute submarine construction and a few other things. I got a mixture of embarassed, disgusted and, "what the hell are you wittering on about" looks from most of them.

Wow! How disappointing.

High_Expect
17th Feb 2012, 18:48
Sounds interesting.... do be sure to tell us if you get a delivery of paper clips next week.

hval
17th Feb 2012, 18:56
The paper clips will probably be delivered to the incorrect building.

Wensleydale
17th Feb 2012, 19:16
I can't spell defect

If you spelt it deficate then it explains the looks that you got.

Rigga
17th Feb 2012, 21:24
I'm quite sure you'd get far better attention, especially from the Seniors, if you substituted 'Tax' for 'Defect'.

tucumseh
18th Feb 2012, 06:03
hval

Unfortunately, indicative of the dumbing down across MoD.

In 1996, there was a seminar organised at AbbeyWood by EFA to announce a new phenomenon they'd discovered - electronic component obsolescence. As with you, we showed them the mandated Def Stan and 3 specs for managing obsolescence / unavailability.

A few years later, about 2002, DPA's Director General Finance announced something new called "Systems Integration" and that she'd approved millions on a 3 year study to find out what it was. Again, she was shown the (same) mandated Def Stan.

The reaction is what gives these people away. They don't see it as an opportunity to put things right, but a potential lost opportunity for personal advancement. In both cases they ignored the Def Stan and spent zillions on consultants. There are many who make a career out of this. The Def Stan? It was cancelled without replacement. Can't leave evidence of incompetence lying around.

Chugalug2
18th Feb 2012, 09:00
tuc:-
Can't leave evidence of incompetence lying around.
Well you might possibly clear away the wreckage, whether it be scattered over Mull, Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever, it is true, but the wreckage of peoples lives blighted by the needless and avoidable loss of loved ones is permanent and indeed left "lying around" forever.
High time that responsibility for UK military airworthiness enforcement and the investigation of military air accidents be invested in an independent MAA and MAAIB, of both the MOD and each other.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
22nd Feb 2012, 10:54
They don't see it as an opportunity to put things right, but a potential lost opportunity for personal advancement.

Indeed; and remember that "improvements" that weren't also "inovative" weren't supposed to qualify towards a Bonus award.

In the '60s, Hawker Siddeley Aviation showered "Zero Defects" badges to everyone in the factories. I was told that one found its way into a HS748 flying control circuit with interesting results. Dad refused to wear his on the grounds of it being a new American gimmick.

ShyTorque
22nd Feb 2012, 13:25
Last edited by hval; 17th Feb 2012 at 12:31. Reason: I can't spell defect

Or "off", "raised", "embarrassed" etc....

Wow! How disappointing. :p