PDA

View Full Version : Takeoff and Landing Calculations

JLDWC
11th Feb 2012, 21:08
Hi all,

The company I work for manages a few Hawker 800s' Lear 60's, Gulfstream IV's, Falcon 50 and 900's and a Challenger 605, Ive developed a quick reference chart for these, however is there a specific equation or spread sheet to figure out the require takeoff and landing distance for these aircraft with varying factors such as (Runway Condition, # of passengers, gross weight, etc). Thank you for your help.

J

PT6A
11th Feb 2012, 22:39
You need proper airport analysis, don't forget you need to be taking into account obstacle data.

Depending on which part your operating under 91, 91K or 135 will depend on what approval this software may or may not need.

john_tullamarine
12th Feb 2012, 23:09
is there a specific equation or spread sheet to figure out the require takeoff and landing distance

yes but it's a large number of related equations ... not the simple exercise you might have imagined.

In general as Johnny-out-in-the-real-world, it is not feasible to reverse engineer the specific relationships which went into the AFM due to the modifying fudge factors used to make the theoretical equations fit the observations.

Suggestions -

(a) first, for each carpet (multivariate graph) on each chart, establish the sensible regions where the curves are continuous - by this, I mean the curves don't have any discontinuities (pointy bits)

(b) for each section read off a bunch of co-ordinates (points) along each line

(c) then, either

(i) set up a simple set of look up tables (spreadsheet is fine) to look up the values for relevant lines and then run an interpolation calculation to figure the desired intermediate point between the lines.

(ii) run a bunch of regression calculations (to figure equation representations for the lines) and then set up either interpolation or regression calculations to figure intermediate points

(d) develop this into a bigger structure to work your way through all the charts and work out the final limiting numbers.

Is this easy ? - reasonably so - but it does take a lot of careful housekeeping to keep it from going off the rails.

Once you have done all this (and you are looking at a LOT of hours work) you have the equivalent to looking up the AFM manually. The advantage is that, once done, the AFM simulation can be read in a fraction of the time it takes to use the paper copy.

Then you can use your computer simulation in the same way as the AFM for any given runway and escape terrain situation.

galaxy flyer
13th Feb 2012, 04:39
Can only speak for the CL-605, the QRH has a very extensive tabular data section covering all the requirements. Isn't that what you are trying to do? The QRH is required to be onboard, anyway. Secondly, the data, when loaded in the FMS, is approved for use as primary. I'm not seeing the need to do all this number crunching.

Second, there are several providers of runway analysis that will set up a mobile phone app to provide "on the spot" data for just about anywhere in the world and custom data for when you are some place really of the grid in a few hours.

GF