PDA

View Full Version : FAA Flight Review Outside USA?

n201cm
7th Feb 2012, 02:49
I'm wondering how best to obtain a required FAA BFR that is coming up in my "N" registered aircraft in Australia. Usually I have obtained a BFR when visiting the USA, but this may prove difficult this time around.

I was told that the FAA regs allow for a BFR in a foreign country if that country is an ICAO member.

61.56 (c) 1 "Accomplish a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an "authorized" instructor and...."

61.41 (2) "A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States."

Am I correct in this reading that I can get a BFR endorsement in this manner? Has anyone done this or had it questioned?

zondaracer
7th Feb 2012, 05:04
Your flight review can be accomplished virtually anywhere as long as the instructor is authorized to give FAA flight reviews (so basically an FAA certified instructor) and is also appropriately rated in the aircraft.

You can find FAA instructors in almost any country.

n201cm
7th Feb 2012, 05:29
Thanks for your reply...but, I think you possibly missed the thrust of:

61.41 which reads: "Flight training received from flight instructors not certified by the FAA."

section (a) indicates that a person may credit flight training towards the requirements of a pilot certificate....if that person received the training from (ii) "a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation."

So, my question is could such a flight instructor give a BFR by extension?

S-Works
7th Feb 2012, 06:19
You need to read it in the correct context. That's for crediting previous training towards the issue of a certificate. A flight review is not for the issue of a certificate.

Only an FAA Instructor can give a flight review.

n201cm
7th Feb 2012, 10:30
OK! That was my initial inclination when I was told I could do this....rather skeptical. Now confirmed. thanks!!

Anyone know an FAA instructor in NSW or Victoria?