Jim59
31st Jan 2012, 14:58
Seen on GliderPilot.net

I hope David is right! As a tug pilot and a full cat. on gliders I
estimated the cost to me, based on the CAA announcement, to be:

£ 65 - To convert my UK PPL to an EASA PPL
£ 89 - to add a sailplane rating to my EASA PPL
£ 89 - to add a towing rating.
£ 89 - to add the sailplane cloud flying rating (assuming it happens).
£121 - to add a glider instructor rating.
£338 - if I want to be able to examine glider pilots.
Total = £791 to the CAA to continue to do what I do now!

It's a good job I don't want to do advanced aerobatics and spend another
£89 - taking it up to £880! A good revenue stream to the CAA - and no mention of IMCR rating. (CAA announced these prices yesterday to come into effect on 1st July for EASA licences.)

The500man
31st Jan 2012, 15:03
Have you seen all the windows in Aviation House? Someone needs to pay to get them all washed! ;)

Roff
31st Jan 2012, 15:45
We should all protest and stand our ground, fkin joke!:mad:

Prop swinger
31st Jan 2012, 16:03
Won't the sailplane & aeroplane licences be separate, as different categories of aircraft?

The BGA are expected to run sailplane licensing on behalf of the CAA, in which case we will be paying BGA fees, not the CAA's.

Jim59
31st Jan 2012, 16:41
Won't the sailplane & aeroplane licences be separate, as different categories of aircraft?

Perhaps so, however, EASA rules require all of a person's licenses and ratings to be issued by the same competent authority (FCL.015) so I don't see how the BGA can issue a licence because of that, however, they may go down the same route as the NPPL already has whereby they (the NPPL people) make a recommendation for licence issue to the CAA who then do it at a lower rate because the checking has been done. The CAA licence fees allow for a lower fee of £39 in that case - but the person making the recommendations has to pay up to £5,680 a year for the privilege so may also want to make a charge.

shortstripper
31st Jan 2012, 17:02
I thought any ratings valid at the time of application would be applied to your new licence?

SS

znww5
31st Jan 2012, 18:06
My understanding was that if all valid ratings went across at the same time when converting from UKPPL to EASA PPL, you would only pay for the licence issue fee. If you added ratings one at a time, then yes it would be an expensive exercise.

Not sure if the same applies to instructor and examiner ratings as that's above my pay grade!

Zulu Alpha
31st Jan 2012, 18:16
It really is beyond belief what they are charging to change one piece of paper for another with no benefit.

The best thing about all these very expensive bits of paper is that those of us with a non expiring CAA PPL can continue to fly our LAA permit aircraft without any changes or cost and we can do aerobatics without having to get an aerobatics rating.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a US licence and just fly G reg aircraft on that?

Whopity
31st Jan 2012, 18:38
You'll be pleased to know that the Rt Hon Theresa Villiers stated in a recent letter to a constituent that the additional costs were justified by the additional privileges that an EASA licence holder would have. She claimed that they will be able to exercise their new privileges in any EU Country, but when challenged would not concede that ICAO recommended mutual acceptance of private privileges over 60 years ago.

Jim59
31st Jan 2012, 22:07
My understanding was that if all valid ratings went across at the same time when converting from UKPPL to EASA PPL, you would only pay for the licence issue fee. If you added ratings one at a time, then yes it would be an expensive exercise.You may be right, but for glider pilots and tug pilots the towing and aerobatic ratings are new, as is the actual SPL (sailplane licence) or LAPL(S). If it goes ahead the SCFR (sailplane cloud flying rating) will also be new so no choice but to add them individually.

Whatever happens to the IMC rating may have to be done individually if done after initial EASA licence is issued. The CAA will have very shiny windows (see earlier post).

Morris542
1st Feb 2012, 12:13
What a bunch of Fokkers!

Sam Rutherford
1st Feb 2012, 17:24
So, if you happen to pass an initial issue checkride anytime soon - better to wait until September before applying for your licence?

Could be a nasty double whammy otherwise?

Cheers, Sam.