PDA

View Full Version : What PPL(A) books do you recommend for study?

Geege
28th Jan 2012, 13:27
Hi all :)

I'm looking to study for my PPL(A) and just wondering what people have used for your study towards PPL or what you are currently using. What books or series of books are considered the best for a new PPL student?

What is considered the industry standard reference book? (what I mean in the same way Blackstone's Manuals are for police officers; The Highway Code is for a learner driver or Gray's Anatomy is for perhaps a doctor for example)

Are the Air Pilot's Manuals (Thom) good?

How about PPL Confuser or PPL Perfecter to compliment my study?What else should I consider? I'm looking for books that are interesting with good diagrams and in excellent detail and of-course covers the entire that covers the entire syllabus.

I'm essentially wanting to study first to get a good grounding until my finances allow me to take flying lessons. :ok:

Thanks.

Grob Queen
28th Jan 2012, 13:46
Geege,
I'm using Jeremy Pratt's PPL Course books and CAP 413 for the RTF study; I am told thats all you need for the exams. I also have aircraft type secific training manual which my instructor leant me. I have the Pratt PPL Confuser, but personally I don't think its much good. I use Airquiz for practice papers...10 x better than the confuser!

Good luck from a fellow student :)
GQ

mad_jock
28th Jan 2012, 14:25
Both the Thom and Pratt books will do the job.

Some students prefer the Thom style of writing and others the Pratt.

There isn't a sure fire answer to your question about which one is better.

ScotAviation
28th Jan 2012, 14:45
Thom and Pratt both great books along with the PPL Confuser, I've used the OAA media discs also and I really didn't like them.

Geege
28th Jan 2012, 15:11
Thanks all, I did think the OAA books and the media did look quite expensive.

I think I will decide between Pratt and Thom, perhaps hire some books from my local library to trial them before investing.

and use Air Quiz.