PDA

View Full Version : International fighter pilots academy

Pittsextra
26th Jan 2012, 19:52
Remember this course from the 1990's? I remember airforces monthly magazine did a competition to win a trip if I recall.

Good old wiki says the school is still operating but in the Urkraine but I can't see anything that relates - anyone ever been?

Just wondered if it was much beyond a few days of joyriding.

CharlieMikeKilo
30th Jan 2012, 01:18
Hi there,
I personally haven't been but there is 1 guy in our squadron that did the trip years ago.
I recall him saying a lot of the expenses were not covered by IFPA or the RAAF, and yes, it seemed to be a week of rocket hopping for fun. I'll see if I can get more info from him.
Still, I wouldn't say no to having a play with a different craft just for the hell of it :)

Pittsextra
30th Jan 2012, 21:41
Yeah would be interesting to hear his experiences. It's a longtime ago now and I can not remember exactly but I think the course had various initial assumed abilities, which saw pilots fly L39's to MIG21's and beyond. I'm sure there was a phantom f-4 pilot that was marketing this to the west. I think I'm right in saying it was the same era that Richard Goode used to Market trips in Mig-29's?

Either way I'm sure it was fun.