PDA

View Full Version : Information on Panshanger

Anthony C
26th Jan 2012, 19:07
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum and to the flying community as well.
I'm looking at taking the plunge and getting my ppl this year.(or at least building my hours) I have a trial lesson booked for the 11th of Feb and i'm really looking forward to it (although i have had one before) I've booked my lesson with North London Flying Club at Panshanger and i am thinking of continuing my lessons there. I just wondered whether anyone has any experience of the place and the club as a whole and whether it's a good place to learn or not?? i'm going to be spending lots of money so i want to make sure it's spent well!!

Many Thanks

Alan_D
26th Jan 2012, 20:11
Where are you based?
Any other hours or just 1 trial flight done before?
I may be able to suggest other options.

A and C
27th Jan 2012, 08:02
I would do a search on these forums, it will be interesting !

Anthony C
27th Jan 2012, 19:47
I have only done a trial lesson a couple of years ago(which i didn't log! silly man) and my girlfriend bought me another one this christmas which i'm doing on the 11th of Feb. but i am definatly going for it this year i've been putting it off to long! I'm based in Harlow Essex if you can help that would be great! :ok:

Alan_D
28th Jan 2012, 22:56
OK, so you're quite near Panshanger. Maybe look at Stapleford also?

Jofm5
29th Jan 2012, 10:22
I did a few lessons at panshanger and also a few at booker, its a lot of money to spend so it may be worth visiting (if not having a lesson) with a couple of different schools to see which you like the most.

Just for the record there was a bit of Anti-Panshanger thing on here with some people not liking the CFI/Owner there (I believe this was a personality thing). So if you do a search on here you will probably find lots on that.

Personally I found Panshanger very welcoming, the person in question in other threads I found no issues with. The out of the box cafe serves good food if your gf wants to wait around whilst you have a lesson.

There are plenty of social events (pm me your email address and i can forward on their most recent club updates) and as a club I found the membership and training on the cheaper side of others that I looked at.

Other things of note is that it is a grass runway (may be subject to water logging now and then) and there is no ATC as such just a radio in the club house.

Feel free to PM me any questions you may have..

piperarcher
29th Jan 2012, 10:42
Panshanger is a nice airfield, and is extremely well maintained. It has about 8 Cherokee and Archer aircraft in the training fleet, and a Piper Cub. All aircraft are well maintained and presentable. I qualified there a number of years ago and feel my training was of a high quality. I still fly there as a PPL.

There is a good camaraderie, and all the instructors bend over backwards to be helpful. Private Owners and other qualified pilots are always milling around and you rarely find someone who wont help a student out in some way. It is a lively kind of place, thats true, and I think some of the quotes on here are a bit dated, but it certianly isnt stuffy. Panshanger has been rejuvenated a bit in the last few years, so it is definitely worth a try. I'd go back down there, see if someone will show you around, and see what you think about the atmosphere there.

dkatwa
29th Jan 2012, 19:28
The circuits are non- standard in that they are not rectangles. Teaches you to maintain tight control after take-off and things happen in a hurry - taught me to sharpen my BUMFICHH skills (pre-landing drill). The grass runway is fine and quite wide.
Elstree (where I learnt to fly) is close by, as the crow flies and might be worth considering too.
Good luck!

Anthony C
2nd Feb 2012, 17:02
Many thanks everyone for your advise you have all been very helpfull. I think i will definatley check out other airfields before i spent vasts amounts of money. The other thing i wanted to ask (probably going to be asking lots of questions to be honest) where is the best place to get my ground school books? and are there any other books you would advise me to get?

Thanks Again:ok:

riverrock83
2nd Feb 2012, 17:40
There is the Jeremy Pratt series published by AFE or the Trevor Thom series published by Air Pilot Publishing. I have enjoyed using the Jeremy Pratt series - it came recommended with good descriptions and diagrams and is arguably more accessible. Others prefer the Trevor Thom ones which are perhaps more comprehensive and can be cross referenced more easily - but either set will work. Normally people go on the advice of their instructor but either will get you through the exams.
Buy them where ever is cheapest (I got mine on Amazon - some of them used). For Air Law get the most recent editions but for the others don't worry too much about which edition you get. For RT there is an excellent guide online so no need to get a separate book for it (I know its combined into one of the other Pratt books).

Enjoy!

Teejman
3rd Feb 2012, 08:42
I used the Trevor Thom books and got them from WH Smiths website, they were cheaper than anywhere else at the time, had them delivered to my local store so no shipping fees either. Took about a week to come if I remember correctly.

Tasslehoff
11th Feb 2012, 23:18
So how did it go?

Anthony C
13th Feb 2012, 16:58
Thanks for all your comments everyone they have been very helpful.

It was absolutly brilliant and i can't wait to get back up there! it was an experience landing on a snow/ice covered runway :8 I've booked a few more lessons and got myself some books so plenty of reading and studying to do but totally worth it i think :ok:

Monocock
13th Feb 2012, 18:23
Great that you are going for it. Best of luck with the licence.

Have you met the owner of Panshanger yet??:hmm:

Swerve550
14th Feb 2012, 10:29
I'm at Panshanger after going to another London airfield for my first few hours. I find Panshanger much more welcoming than said other airfield. It has a real club atmosphere and the aircraft are in good nick, as far as my not-very-technical knowledge can tell.

I'd say you can't go wrong there.

Swerve

No_Speed_Restriction
14th Feb 2012, 12:42
I used to instruct there about 13 years ago; good all round and value for money. Wish i could visit but I'm not living locally any more.