PDA

View Full Version : Getting prep'd for the seminar

pipertommy
22nd Jan 2012, 14:01
hi, wondered if you can give me any advice on getting up to speed for next months seminar. Thanks

mad_jock
22nd Jan 2012, 15:02
you don't need to do much.

The only thing that stood out for me when I did mine a couple of years back was I didn't have a clue about all the different flavours of NPPL or all the different flavours of ratings.

Mind you by a look of 90% of the instructors there I wasn't the only one who didn't have a clue about the different types of gliding type things with donks on them or for that matter what all the different microlight types are.

FOUR REDS
22nd Jan 2012, 16:31
One thing they might select you for (at random) is a presentation/flight briefing. The subject may be given to you. There is also the option to conduct one on a subject of your liking, using flipboard or powerpoint presentation or indeed transparencies. Usually the required machines are available.

Beyond this it is just listening and open question/answer sessions. At least you should get a better insight in the EASA regs.

Enjoy!

Whopity
22nd Jan 2012, 19:02
That method is only used at AOPA Seminars

mrmum
22nd Jan 2012, 20:42
I did an ontrack seminar at Wellesbourne a few years ago, it was actually better than I was expecting, useful in places, generally interesting and I did learn something from it.
There was no preparation needed as such at all, just turn up on time, listen and ask a few questions. The interactive bit with them was group presentations/briefings, on a subject of your own choice.

FOUR REDS
23rd Jan 2012, 07:11
That method is only used at AOPA Seminars

Not entirely true! A seminar conducted by a company of ex-CAA examiner(s), now defunct, used the same method.

As MRMUM says, OnTrack also uses a similar technique and for some people, for whom speaking off-the-cuff is difficult, a little prep for that 'subject of your own chocie' might come in handy.

As one does not get scored, the depth of detail is up to you. Be prepared to have your leg pulled and/or being 'taken apart'

As I said, just sit back and enjoy (sort of).

Whopity
23rd Jan 2012, 08:58
I was referring to the present tense not the past tense. ETA has been out of the loop for quite a few years now.

pipertommy
31st Jan 2012, 15:19
thanks all for the replys. Appreciate it.

pipertommy
20th Feb 2012, 10:07
Hi folks, couple of more questions regards the seminar. I have completed the flight test and have the signed paper work. Will the section/rating part of my licence get signed off at the completion seminar? thanks one again for your valued experience.

Another_CFI
20th Feb 2012, 20:37
Once you have met the requirements for renewal/revalidation (Test/Seminar/Experience as appropriate) the FIE who sees evidence of meeting the requirements will sign your licence to renew/revalidate the rating.

ifitaintboeing
20th Feb 2012, 21:42
...providing it's a revalidation or your FI rating has expired by less than 5 years for a renewal. Otherwise it's got to go off to the CAA with an admin fee.

pipertommy
21st Feb 2012, 08:54
Thanks, ye less than 5 years so all good then. :ok: