PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself & FSD

F4TCT
19th Jan 2012, 23:23
Hi,

Im new on the forum and wish to share my story.

Im Dan, im 26 and live in Whitby, North Yorkshire. Ive always wanted to be a pilot and always wanted to gain my PPL. Upon leaving college, i had my share of crap jobs and decided to retrain and go into the offshore industry. I trained as a welding & coatings inspector and magnetic particle inspection technician. I worked briefly for parkol marine in Whitby until i went offshore in september 2007 on the saipem 7000, into the north sea to take down an old gas rig - Frigg CDP1.

I then started work on a pipelay vessel called the castoro sei in march 2008. The job was to lay the first pipeline linking Europe to Africa, specifically Almeria in Spain, to Beni Saf in Algeria. Part of the pipeline was done on the castoro sei as its a shallow water vessel and the rest would have to be done on the saipem 7000. By trade its a crane barge that will life 14,000 metric tons and is technically the biggest in the world. This was done by basically bolting on a 3000 ton tower on the bow.

On the day of 17th September 2008, I was involved in the worst accident in the company's history. They basically dropped a pipe through a walkway where I, and 5 others were working. We all fell some 25 meters hitting bits of framework and steel. 4 were killed including a very good working friend. I ended up in the sea and fighting for life. To cut a long story short, i really shouldn't be alive. My injuries were smashed pelvis, broken sternum and ribs, femur snapped and sticking out of my skin, head wound, smashed shoulder and a crushed sciatic nerve which has left my left leg paralised below the knee. I had to have a total left hip replacement in October 2010 as a result of arthritis. I wear a splint on my left foot which allows me to walk properly and operate the rudder as normal. Toe brakes are a little more difficult so i opt for the handbrake.

I then met a tucano instructor at my local gym and he told me about flying scholarships for the disabled and i applied in late 2010. In April, i was invited to the selection interviews at RAF Cranwell and was awarded a scholarship. It ran over June 2011 and i gained my NPPL in 25 days! The scholarship was at Aero's based at Wellesbourne and occasionally Coventry. I'm also proud to say the scholarship, for me anyway, was funded by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. It was also filmed aswell and it shall be on the telly at some point this year to bring awareness to FSD. There was 2 lovely ladies with me also, one also eventually gaining her PPL.

I managed to then gain a JAR-2 medical and gained my JAR PPL in August time. I gained my night rating just before Christmas. I'll be doing my IMC in Feb sometime. I'd love to continue on to do my commercial license as i would love to instruct. However currently im locked in a legal battle which potentially is another year away from getting resolved, however when it does, I'm going to pay for an FSD applicant's scholarship and get my commercial stuff done.

Im currently in a group share of G-AYKW and flying out of Fishburn which is next to Durham Tees Valley (EGNV).

Sorry to ramble on, however i can post further accident info and pics if anyone is interested.

Dan

JEM60
20th Jan 2012, 10:27
Triumph through adversity. Very well done, and best wishes for the future.

Ultra long hauler
20th Jan 2012, 11:48
Welcome Dan!

Nice of you to drop in on us in, during what seems to be your 2nd (from 9??) life!!

I am a "rig-pig" myself…….so I can relate to your story quite a bit.

I jumped into aviation myself only a while back. Love it!
The boat-thing is my work, but it´s all aviation once I´m off.
For me it´s just hobby though……and it will stay that way.

I wish you luck on the path towards your professional license, and keep us updated!

###Ultra Long Hauler###

mad_jock
20th Jan 2012, 12:24
What a cracking first post!!!

Also a oilie brat, its hard to explain the industrial accidents to folk outside the industry.

My first fatal accident was slinging pipe onto a lorry at age 15. Steel rope went and the pipe bundle burst at 15ft up. The two old hands ran for it and I dived under the axles of the artic. One pipe bounced and took out one of the old hands.

While at primary it seemed like every other day someone was dragged out because there dad was in an accident.

Best off luck

MJ

Grob Queen
20th Jan 2012, 18:40
Hi Dan, and welcome!
Your story shows what can be done through determination and with strength of mind. You have absolutely no need to apologise for "rambling on"; your story has certainly made me think...

Speaking for myself I didn't know that there were Flying Scholarships for the Disabled (and i'm based at RAF Cranwell!) Your post has certainly enlightened me to such an organisation and I hope it acts to widen others knowledge of this area of aviation too.

Best of luck with everything
GQ

stickandrudderman
21st Jan 2012, 10:11
Welcome Dan, and congratulations on turning adversity into success.
I'm going to print off your story and post it on my office wall as a reminder for when I think I'm having a bad day.

Perhaps we should have a PPrune annual award for "best first post"?
:D:D:D:D

007helicopter
21st Jan 2012, 10:39
Dan, good for you mate.

What a great organisation Welcome to FSD, providing scholarships to enable disabled people to learn to fly (http://www.fsfdp.org.uk/indexAug2010.html) I knew nothing about it until now

(Not sure about accident pics but some flying ones would be good):ok:

fernytickles
21st Jan 2012, 13:11
Dan,

What an extraordinary story. Sounds like it was a defining moment in your life. I hope you have many more happier defining moments!

Good luck with your continued flight training :ok: