PDA

View Full Version : PPL question (Ireland)

hifk
6th Jan 2012, 12:52
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum so this might not be the correct place to post this but I'll give it a go. I'm 16 at the moment and I left my PPL (in the middle) after about 25 hours logged time due to school and exams. I have not yet done my PPL exams but i have over half of my hours logged. By the time I am done my Leaving certificate I will have not flown for 7-8 months, maybe even more. I'm wondering how much my of my PPL (what I have done so far) will suffer and how much of my 25 hours and solo time will need to be repeated. It's also a slight financial issue. Also, will I need to sit the Ground School classes as it will be nearly a year since I had previously sat them.

Thanks.

6th Jan 2012, 13:15
The amount of hours you will need to redo will depend on a number of factors, including how far you got in the 25 you have already done and how quickly you can pick everything up again.

If you can, I would probably suggest budgeting for 30 hours of training and doing them intensively. Anything left over you could use to treat yourself to some post test flying, a tailwheel conversion or learning on a new aircraft for example.

You didn't make clear whether you have sat the ground exams or just took the classes. There is no requirement to take any classes for the PPL ground exams, you may just learn yourself and take the ground exams when you are ready. I will presume that you have taken ground exams as you have solo time so you must have taken Air Law at least. I am not sure whether these are still usable after a year, someone will be along shortly who does know though!

Good luck and welcome to PPRuNe!

hifk
6th Jan 2012, 13:27
Thanks for the quick reply. I have not taken the exams, I just sat the classes. I have completed circuits and my next lesson was navigation. I had done about 2 hours solo circuits. I'm assuming circuits will have to be re-done. I guess I wouldn't lose too much. I am hoping to do a CPL and ATPL afterwards.

p.s. An SPL (Student Pilot's License) exam and Medical (Class 1 or 2) must be obtained to go solo. In other words, all you need is an SPL.