PDA

View Full Version : NPPL Bi-Annual Revalidation

kevkdg
5th Jan 2012, 22:20
Hi,

Does the following extract from CAA Releases AIC W089/2011 : Alignment of Rating Expiry Dates and Removal of Single-Seat Restrictions (issued 6th October 2011

3 Removal of 'Single Seat Only' Restriction

3.1 A ‘Single Seat Only’ restriction may be applied to a SSEA, SLMG or Microlight class rating. To have that restriction removed the

licence holder shall:

a. Undertake at least one hour of flying training with an instructor to include the core content of a General Skill Test. This may be

conducted on any class of aircraft for which the applicant has a valid Class Rating;

b. Present his/her licence to an Examiner to have the 'Single Seat Only' restriction lifted. The Examiner shall complete a new

Certificate, or Certificates of Revalidation as follows:

i. Enter the same rating revalidation details as for the existing rating(s), omitting the 'Single Seat Only' restriction(s);

ii. Enter the validity date(s) as for the current rating(s);

iii. Enter his/her examiners authorisation number and examiners signature.

(Note: Completion of this process does not revalidate the rating(s) for a new validity period).

Supercede the following extract from the FAQ section on the NPPL website:

Q How many hours each year do I need in order to keep my NPPL current?

at least 1 hour of flight training with an instructor. If this flight time has not been completed, the rating will be endorsed ‘Single seat only’.
If (c) has not been fully completed, you will be required to renew the relevant Class Rating(s) by GST.

As my interpretation is that a formal GST with an examiner is no longer required to remove the Single Seat restriction should that restriction be applied. For example if you did not have your 1 hours dual instruction flight within that 2 year period?

Incidentally, would that still be the case if you had let your NPPL rating lapse for a length of time. Still no requirement for a formal GST with an examiner?

Cheers

Heston
6th Jan 2012, 08:03
My understanding is that to remove the single seat only restriction it has never been the case that a GST was required (assuming the other requirements are met). EDit to add: the single seat only requirement can only come about if all the C of E requirements are met except the hour with the instructor - if the other requirements are not met then the C of E lapses and a full GST is required.

If the C of E has lapsed for whatever reason then a GST is required.

The new wording is thus a tightening of the rules really - because it stipulates what the one hour with the instructor should consist of (this has not previously been the case).

And note that the restriction "single seat" means exactly that - only single seat aeroplanes may be flown. It doesn't mean flying solo in a multi-seat aeroplane.

Happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than me, but I hope this helps in the meantime.

Heston

Whopity
6th Jan 2012, 10:19
An AIC cannot be superseded by a FAQ and associated answer on a website. The AIC is an authoritative document and if valid still applies. In any case, this FAQ has nothing to do with the removal of the Single Seat restriction. It simply says that if you haven't completed the hour with an instructor for revalidation by experience, the rating will be restricted to single seat. If you subsequently want to remove that restriction you will have to comply with the AIC.

i.e. Complete the 1 hour with an Instructor and get the rating re-signed by an examiner to remove the restriction.

If you have failed to meet all the requirements for revalidation by experience you will have to do a GST

BEagle
6th Jan 2012, 13:01
It never ceases to amaze me how people can dream up their own spin to quite simple requirements.

I exhort you to RTFM!!

If you haven't completed the hour-of-training-flying requirement, but have completed all other requirements to revalidate by experience, you will be restricted to Single Seat aircraft only. To remove the restriction, you have to follow the requirements of AIC W089/2011.

If you haven't completed the requirements to revalidate by experience, you will need to fly a GST.

jxk
6th Jan 2012, 16:14
And it is Biennial (1 in 2 years) not Biannual (2 in 1 year). I know pedantic!