PDA

View Full Version : G-bbke

PompeyPaul
3rd Jan 2012, 20:29
Anybody know where this is based? Just saw the footage of it upside down. Owner is listed as Farnham based so could be Fairoaks or Farnborough.

BBC News - Winds thrash houses, roads and planes across the UK (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16398329)

treadigraph
3rd Jan 2012, 20:32
According to the BBC it is at Redhill.

captain_flynn
3rd Jan 2012, 20:48
I used to see this one alot at Cranfield although I haven't noticed it around recently.

PotentialPilot
3rd Jan 2012, 23:18
Yep, redhill aerodrome. C-150. Not sure of the owner. Very unfortunate! 5 minutes down the road

riverrock83
4th Jan 2012, 00:07
rudder was blown off the plane I am a group owner of at but I've heard of other planes written off where I do my flying. Very sad for those owners / the school involved. I'm just hoping for no hidden damage as well once it is in for repair.

Is it just me - or are the two planes that are still the right way up in the BBC pics not tied down? I wonder if they started off in a different location than they are in now (and whoever left them there is very lucky)!

Pilot DAR
4th Jan 2012, 04:00
Is it just me - or are the two planes that are still the right way up in the BBC pics not tied down?

No, it's not just you, it looks that way to me too. I don't see any ropes on the 150 either. You can't blame a untied plane for being blown in a strong wind. You can't blame a wind for blowing.....

In the past I have gone to lot of effort to tie planes down, and I have never regretted the effort.

Jofm5
4th Jan 2012, 07:05
Pilot Dar:
I don't see any ropes on the 150 either.

G-BBKE appears to have been tied down. A much better pic where you can still see the tie downs attached, courtesy of thread on flier forums.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy141/Satcop/GBBKE-1.jpg

NazgulAir
4th Jan 2012, 10:18
A sad sight...

We pay a whopping amount for our hangarage, almost as much as we spend on maintenance and insurance combined. There are times that I hate this and wonder whether we'd not be better off tied down and protected with covers, you can do an awful lot of maintenance for the money saved... but then there are countless times that I'm glad that our baby is inside. Just as long as I don't have to be reminded of the bills!

Even inside you're not totally safe. Last winter a hangar collapsed under the weight of snow on the roof, totalling the planes inside.

cjuk28
4th May 2012, 12:11
Only just found about this poor machine.
G-BBKE was my first ever hands on flight in an aircraft 10/7/89 at Wickenby on the RAF Flying Scholarship
Anyone else remember that summer in Lincoln.
Great times had by all
:):):)

chubbychopper
4th May 2012, 23:06
it'll fly again.....only. scratches

stickandrudderman
4th May 2012, 23:15
That depends on who rights her. There's a lot of aeroplanes that have ended up being written off purely as a result of mis-handling after the main event.