PDA

View Full Version : Route from Alaska to Japan

VORTIME
28th Dec 2011, 15:22
Hi guys,

I'm toying with an around the world trip with a friend. We've spent some time weighing up the risks and seeking to minimise those (in so far as possible). According to earthrounders.com, most westbound trips seem to take the San Diego to Hawaii route. The overwater portion is circa 2,200nm. We're considering a potentially safer(?) alternative route, which is via Nome (Alaska) to Madagan (RUS) and then south towards Japan. Has anyone experience flying in this part of the world?

The proposed AC type is DA40 (JetA), IFR ok.

Cheers
VORTIME

Jan Olieslagers
28th Dec 2011, 15:43
-) search the WWW for B369, which at one time could get you to UHMD Providenyia at least, in a more or less organised manner.
-) will work better if you spell Magadan correctly - but without consulting a map, I think you don't need to pass there. Anadyr would be on your route, and from there I should think you could get to Petropavlovsk directly?
-) when planning, do not forget you will be crossing the date-line

Big Pistons Forever
28th Dec 2011, 17:18
My company ferried a Turbo Commander 690 from Canada to Australia via Russia and Japan last year. The total cost was over $ 60,000 USD and the general consensus was "never again". There is very little aviation infrastructure to support light aircraft operations, a labyrinthine and opaque set of official rules and procedures and high costs.

Virtually everyone who wants to cross the Pacific fits ferry tanks and goes Oakland Hawaii direct.

Tmbstory
29th Dec 2011, 05:51
The trip as above has been done many times in Corporate / GA type aircraft in the past, spectacular mountain , snow and ice scenery. It is an alternative way to get from USA to Australia.

Tmb