PDA

View Full Version : Engine failure Yorkshire

chaders
27th Dec 2011, 21:16
When flying into Leeds this evening I heard of a light aircraft down In the area. I believe it made it to a field and both people got out. Anyone have any info??

DX Wombat
27th Dec 2011, 23:00
Apparently Sherburn in Elmet is minus another aircraft, rumour has it that it's a write-off. No knowledge of the occupant(s) but hope they are safe. I think we might have heard if they were not as bad news always travels fast.

A and C
28th Dec 2011, 05:01
Any idea what type ?

LeeP-PA28
28th Dec 2011, 06:48
PA28 Warrior. G-BODC.
4 people on board and all OK. Pilot made an emergency landing into a ploughed field after engine failure near Bramham.

Myself and another aircraft were in the circuit and went up to locate them / get pictures.

Sad day as DC was a well equipped and tidy aircraft. Apparently it'll never fly again :(

But excellent pilot skills in action, just pleased he and his family were OK.

Lee

chaders
28th Dec 2011, 07:29
Hi all,

Glad to hear everyone's OK.

thing
28th Dec 2011, 08:28
Excellent emergency management skills, well done that pilot.

29_Grass
28th Dec 2011, 09:16
Maybe swap the hull loss and get another AT3 :}

Oldpilot55
28th Dec 2011, 10:56
What is it with Yorkshire?
Someone aiming for Gamston (admittedly not quite in Yorkshire) landed unannounced at Doncaster a week last Sunday.

DX Wombat
28th Dec 2011, 12:04
What is it with Yorkshire?
Meaning what exactly? Plenty of good airfields around -Full Sutton, Bagby, Elvington, Breighton to name a few and I'm not aware of any problems with them or their powered aircraft of late but I may be a little out of touch.

thing
28th Dec 2011, 13:58
Just a bit of thread drift wombat but do you know how much it is to land at Elvington? There's nothing in Pooley's. I know the landing fee includes entry to the museum, it's on my list of 'to visit' places next year.

DX Wombat
28th Dec 2011, 14:15
I'm not sure but I don't think it's expensive - maybe £10 and possibly less if you upload fuel. Here's the Pilot Briefing page from the airfield website. (http://elvingtonairfield.co.uk/pilots-briefing) I have only ever driven there but the members of staff are very friendly and helpful. Talk to Steve Roper the Airfield Manager I'm sure he will be able to help. When you do get there don't forget to visit the only memorial to the Women Pilots of WW2.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/553e06c5.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/DX_Wombat/P1010906.jpg
Thing, you may be interested in these two BAeA events:
14/04-15/04 John McLean Trophy Breighton
27/04-29/04 Nat. Alony, Cavendish & Roy Legg Trophies Elvington
Breighton is home to The Real Aeroplane Company which has some wonderful old aircraft and is also well worth a visit. It does, however, have a grass runway which can become rather soggy in winter so a visit in drier conditions is recommended. :)

Big Pistons Forever
28th Dec 2011, 17:07
Excellent emergency management skills, well done that pilot.

Yes obviously some good flying was required to result such a favorable outcome.

The part I wonder is did the pilot play any part in the failure. I say this because the accident statistics show that up to 80 % of all engine failures in light aircraft were caused by the actions or inactions of the pilot....

thing
28th Dec 2011, 17:12
Thanks wombat, landing fee is apparently £12. Have visited Breighton several times, one of my favourite airfields. Incidentally we have DC's sister ship, DD which I was flying yesterday weirdly enough.