PDA

View Full Version : What is the best direct routing you have had?

foxmoth
23rd Apr 2001, 14:45
Some time ago I was returning to the uk through France, it must have been a controller who was about to retire as he was giving direct routings to EVERYONE.
The best was:-"Speedbird****, what is your final destination?"
Speedbird**** - "Nairobi."
Controller - " Roger - cleared DIRECT NAIROBI."
The Speedbird did not take this, only accepting a direct to the edge of French airspace, but what is the best direct you have had offered, and/or accepted.
(My best was airborne from MCO and cleared direct BGR).

vipero
23rd Apr 2001, 19:20
I've experienced a MIA DCT YQX (one clearance, one squawk...).
It was quite amazing for us if you consider that flying Milan/Rome (50min flt time) you normally change 4 or 5 ACC's and relative squawk idents...But I guess Italy's not the best example for comparisons (except food and women of course)...

Ciao
Paolo

"Flight Dispatchers tell Pilots where to go"

InFinRetirement
23rd Apr 2001, 20:02
I was delivering a BN2A to Amman in January '81 for the Royal Jordanian Falcons - as their support aircraft. Difficult flight planning this, because it was known that an aircraft to be in Syrian airspace is iffy. So taking off for the last leg from Cyprus across to Beirut then to Damascus was known to be fraught with problems.

Before leaving Biggin Hill I had all the necessary "permits" to overfly Syrian airspace. But when I got to Cyprus (Larnaca) everyone was telling me that the permit was worthless and they will have "forgotten they issued it by now"! Great, all I needed.

Took off for Amman with my permit, good or bad, crossed Beirut at FL120 (yeah! It did take a while getting there!) and started to get concerned on reaching Syrian airspace. Called Damascus, fulling expecting a call to land, because they didn't have a record of the permit - but instead they asked if I could relay messages to an Austrian Caravelle they were having trouble talking to. This was good I thought! Very good!

I did that for about 10 minutes but still had about 35 mins to run to Damascus before turning for Amman, on what was an horrendous dog leg. Then suddenly a call! "DCA you are cleared direct to Amman, thank-you for your help". That was my best direct. Not all that far but it saved loads of time, and suddenly I didn't mind all that desert below.

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Apr 2001, 20:40
I've been cleared direct to Bangor as well foxmoth.

Climbing out from GLA early one morning and got the clearance.

Sadly the controller was legendary PPRuNer and party animal 10W. Yes, you're all way ahead of me, he was refering to the one in Northern Ireland................

------------------
Regards from the Towers
[email protected]

steve757
23rd Apr 2001, 20:58
Back in the mid 1980s, passing through 15000' out of Nellis. The controller asked us if we were RNAV equipped. "No", was the reply "but we do have a Navigator called Fred". " That's great", he replied "tell Fred he's cleared direct Gander"!

Jetdriver
23rd Apr 2001, 21:19
Must be something about Bangor.

I had climbing out of LAX "Direct BGR" was nighttime during the LA Olympics back in 84.

static
23rd Apr 2001, 21:20
On a flight from MEX to AMS, we crossed the border with the USA at Corpus Christi.
The controller cleared us direct to Kenebunk, and asked us if we had already heard the story about the NWA crew that landed in BRU by mistake, while headed for FRA. That kept us wondering wether it was true, for the longest direct I can remember.

Turned out it was.

Former_SLUF_Driver
24th Apr 2001, 02:06
Was cleared direct home no speed restrictions and told “max forward on the approach” by my wife once.

No she wasn’t mad, just aroused! :) :) :) :)

SLUF

Sick Squid
24th Apr 2001, 02:54
Out of Birmingham in the right turn off the SID on 33 at about 2000'; "Cleared direct to the ADN, contact approach, bye!"

Coming off the B-side of the Atlantic can yield some mega directs from YQX or the other maritime fixes... the bourgeious 777 complaint was that they were too long to have the active waypoint visible on 640nm range. Quelle domage.

£6

Former_SLUF_Driver
24th Apr 2001, 07:00
Hehehehe....

Heck I wouldn't complain, just leave it in PLAN Mode!!! :)

I know, I know I'll go sit down now...

RRAAMJET
24th Apr 2001, 07:26
It's fairly standard for the "red-eyes" in the US to get LAX-DFW direct or SEA-dfw or whatever. Or a heading if you don't have l-nav. SEA-DFW is 1400 nm. SEA-ATL is even further.

AffirmBrest
24th Apr 2001, 11:13
Isn't Bangor in Northern Wales?

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

Old King Coal
24th Apr 2001, 11:26
Whilst perhaps not in the mega-direct clearance category, but during a night flight last year - and when just coming up to overhead Dinard - ATC gives, "Direct Palma"......... thank gawd for INS is all I can say !

expedite_climb
24th Apr 2001, 13:51
Lst week on the way back from DLM - near FFM cleared the centrefix Newcaslte !!

Dan Winterland
24th Apr 2001, 23:57
First route with a brand new LRG/IRS and FMC installed in the jet. Got a direct to Las Vegas/McCarran from overhead Sault St Marie (Canadian/US border). Once plugged into the kit and on reading 1020NM TTG 2:20, I wished I was the PNF. At least he had the radios to keep him occupied!

Captain Airclues
25th Apr 2001, 03:41
Margo direct 61N040W

Thanks 10W

Airclues

FlapsOne
25th Apr 2001, 18:13
Aeromed (seriously ill 2 week old baby needing to get to Great Ormond St Hosp) in an HS125 one night out if Gibraltar. Passing 3000' cleared ".....direct Ockham for Heathrow 27L."

Canuck_AV8R
25th Apr 2001, 18:48
I am not sure of the distances involved for the European routings that most are talking about but my best direct was departing Calgary (CYYC), Canada bound for Hamilton (CYHM) Canada on a "red-eye". We were 8 miles out from Calgary climbing through 10 or 11 thousand feet when we heard the all too familiar and most welcome question "XXX confirm that you are RNAV equipped tonight". After our affirmative reply we were cleared direct to Hamilton, 1440NM & 3:42 away. I have been trying to beat that record ever since but to no avail.

Cheers
Canuck

foxmoth
25th Apr 2001, 20:24
OKC - your direct Palma was probably the same night and controler as the one that gave the direct Nairobi.

Iz
27th Apr 2001, 22:53
Back in 1998 in an Ameriflight Metroliner IV at FL270 got cleared direct from LAX to Cleveland. I believe that was about 1800nm. For the Metroliner, that was about 6.5 hours flying. :)

stanley
28th Apr 2001, 00:24
Coming out of BGR one morning got a direct to LAX when passing 5000ft