PDA

View Full Version : Job scene in the US ?

Joe Cool
20th Apr 2001, 05:55
Greetings all,

I'm an F/O with a regional airline in Australia, and am considering loking for employment in the US (hopefully with a major such as Continental, AA, Delta etc). Unfortunately, I am a bit of a babe-in-the-woods regarding the employment situation over there, and just what looking for a job over there would entail.

Is there anyone out there who could offer some advice or information on any of the following...?

1. Are the airlines recruiting at the moment, and if so, what sort of experience would they be looking for?

2. What considerations do I face in getting a work visa/green card...and is it very difficult to obtain one?

3. Generally, are you expected to pay for your own endorsements or is there a bond-type arrangement?

4. As a guide, what would a new B737 F/O expect as a starting wage? (Just so I can compare it with what's on offer in OZ!)

5. Is this even a good idea?? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

For the record, I have around 3700 hrs total, 1700 hrs multi, 900 hrs turbine and 600 hrs as F/O.

I would appreciate any information, advice or comments you may care to offer!

Thanking you in advance,

Joe http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Flare_you_fool!
20th Apr 2001, 19:28
Joe
1) Yes most US majors are hiring, although most like to see circa 1000hrs of PIC time.
2) Short of marrying an american your chances of getting a work permit/green card are slim to anorexic
3)No bonds or pay for type(unless Southwest who expect you to turn up to groundschool with a 737 type)
4)Pay 1st year circa $40000 Pay 2nd year circa $80-90 000
5) Is it worth it? financially if you get on, absolutely.
Regards
FYF

Capt. Horatio Slappy !!
23rd Apr 2001, 05:34
Actually, as of April the 30th 2001, marriage may no longer be used as a basis for soliciting a geen card, most everything will have to go through an Immigration Judge for pre-approval. Land of the Free? I think not, not when big brother starts placing restrictions on the freedom of their citizens. However, that's a whole different argument.
Short of claiming political asylum as a Godless, Heathen, Infidel who fears retribution for your religious beliefs back home, I'd say you are S H I T out of luck, unfortunately.
Any other Q's, e-mail me at [email protected], am currently flying out of the US but am ex-Brit, Hey how is OZ for jobs?