PDA

View Full Version : RAF VC10 - low speed dash over Dorset

airsmiles
22nd Jul 2001, 13:48
Anyone have any info. on a single RAF VC10 which screamed over Blandford, Dorset at 16.55 yesterday (Sat). It was flying fast at approx. 1500-2000 feet, which I assumed meant an approach to Bournemouth Airport. However, it failed to arrive! It was seen over Portsmouth/Gosport shortly after still heading East/South-East.

This is a very unusual sight anyway, but to pass close to both Bournemouth and Eastleigh airports in that manner makes it doubly interesting.

Regards
airsmiles

goldcup
22nd Jul 2001, 19:14
The trip was part of RAF Lyneham Eng Wing Families Day. We took two full loads of pax on a couple of jollies around the countryside. As the weather was a little bit rubbish around the Lyneham area, we went south to Southampton, along the Solent then north to Odiham and back to Lyneham. All of this was done about 2000 agl with the autopilot out- very unusual for us.

Sharjah Night Shift
22nd Jul 2001, 22:53
How does a 40% taxpayer who is also an avation enthusiast get to fly on such a jolly?

airsmiles
22nd Jul 2001, 23:01
I suggest you marry an RAF Lyneham airman (or airwoman) :D

EGTE
23rd Jul 2001, 03:25
It was XV105 (I'm told) on a families day jolly.

Avtrician
23rd Jul 2001, 12:20
airsmiles
:) Getting married is an expensive and somewhat drastic way to get a ride on an RAF jet isn't it. Marry an Airman!!!! no defineitely not. An Airwoman?? No go there either, my Wife wont let me

sam_flying
25th Jul 2001, 11:59
Thankyou Goldcup for answering all those who were stood on Lasham airfield on Saturday looking at the VC10 and thinking...I hope he realises this is not Odiham! :)

It's nice to know why we got to see it...only thing we usually see from Odiham are the Chinooks! :eek:

Sam