(AEROPLANE)
CRE(A) Privileges & Requirements

The privileges of a CRE(A) are to conduct:

a. Skill tests for the issue of class and type ratings for
single-pilot aeroplanes.

b. Proficiency checks for revalidation or renewal of
class and type ratings for single-pilot aeroplanes
and revalidation of instrument ratings and IMC
ratings if so authorised by the Authority.

The requirements for issue of a CRE(A) are:

a. A minimum 500 hours as pilot of aeroplanes.

b. Hold or have held a professional pilot aeroplane
licence and hold a PPL(A).

c. Hold a current FI (A) or CRI rating on the appropriate
class or single-pilot type. Where the privilege to
revalidate Instrument Ratings is sought, a CRE
must also hold the qualification to teach applied
instrument flying, either within a current FI (A) rating
or as the holder of a current Instrument Rating
Instructor qualification (IRI).

I'm going to sound dense, but can somebody enlighten me: how does somebody actually become a CRE(A) ? I'm a year or three away from feeling I'm an experienced enough instructor to consider it, but it interests me as a possible role after that.

(I'm also a little surprised that there's no requirement to have a minimum amount of instructional experience, but frankly I'd not try applying for such a thing until I have got a fair number of people through representative tests anyhow - and if I did try too early, I'm sure that somebody somewhere would politely, or impolitely, fail me!)

G

S-Works
15th Nov 2011, 18:17
You have to be sponsored by an organisation and the CAA then decide if they have a need for another examiner. Apparently under EASA they are going to have less control over the process but you will still need a sponsoring organisation. if you are doing freelance stuff with your CRI you have little chance of an RTF/FTO sponsoring you to be an Examiner.

Whopity
15th Nov 2011, 18:36
Complete a CRE Course
Pass a CRE Test with a CAA Staff Examiner
Because of the cost, it is generally only undertaken by candidates who are sponsored by a company with a specific need for a CRE. As a standalone CRE you would be hard pushed to recover the cost.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Nov 2011, 19:17
Thanks chaps, that seems clear enough. Knock that one on the head for now I think - but was still worth asking the question.

G

blagger
15th Nov 2011, 19:24
CRE is only really designed for high end / airline stuff as I read it - for SEP/TMG/microlight stuff which is what I think you are thinking about, everyone goes the FI - FE(PPL) route. FE(PPL)s are freelance and don't need a sponsoring organisation.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Nov 2011, 21:09
CRE is only really designed for high end / airline stuff as I read it - for SEP/TMG/microlight stuff which is what I think you are thinking about, everyone goes the FI - FE(PPL) route. FE(PPL)s are freelance and don't need a sponsoring organisation.

I appreciate that "everybody does", except to be honest I'm quite happy with the post-PPL stuff I'm doing and finding, in the limited time I have to spend on instruction, that there's enough for me to do without going off doing an FI course.

I'll probably succumb to that sooner or later, but the ab-initio instruction that the FI course is aimed at, isn't actually the flying that interests me most and there's a lot of ab-initio instruction to be done to turn FI(R) into FI, whilst I have a lot of independence now with the CRI and theoretically at-least I could turn that into the CRE.

G

Whopity
16th Nov 2011, 07:44
If you've got 3 grand to spare!

ifitaintboeing
16th Nov 2011, 09:05
The current CAA charge for issue of a Class Rating Examiner authorisation is £1087.

This authorisation lasts for three years - to re-authorise is the same cost. Add to that the cost of the course, plus aircraft hire, and you will find that it is an expensive process.

Section 4, Table 11

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/262PLSCorr.pdf

Course details here

ONTRACK AVIATION LIMITED (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/cre-land-non-irr.htm)

ifitaint..

Genghis the Engineer
16th Nov 2011, 11:03
That's quite a compelling argument to shoot for the higher FI / FE qualifications!

Thanks IfItAint.

G