PDA

View Full Version : Jersey / C.I Scenario

LeeP-PA28
5th Nov 2011, 16:17
Hi all
Getting myself into confusion here regarding the Channel Islands.

So heres a scenario:

- depart the UK IFR in IMC (IMC rating attained). Get to St Catherine's point and break clear of the cloud, but into 3k viz before Ortac at 3000ft.

Call up the zone for SVFR entry. ATIS reports cloud at 800ft and 2500m viz on the airfield. I maintain 3km in the Class A and once into the Class D request to change to IFR and request vectors for the ILS.

My understanding is the IMCr is permitted here within the Class D.
Obviously missed approach and enterin the hold may mean leaving the Class D back into SVFR which is a nightmare for ATC to try and keep together.

I assume the above is theoretically possible, depending on the workload of the controller?

Johnm
5th Nov 2011, 16:30
Since Jersey and Guernsey both train for IMCR you'd think so wouldn't you?

It would be interesting to try to see whether you could get a SVFR clearance into the Class A if the islands were below SVFR minima.

welkyboy
5th Nov 2011, 16:57
The Channel Islands have their own limits for SVFR, if the airfield you are routing to has a viz of less than 3000m or a cloud base (bkn) less than 600ft you will not be granted a SVFR clearance. If one of the other CI airfields has weather above those limits you would be allowed to proceed SVFR to that airfield. This assumes you have a IMC rating

LeeP-PA28
7th Nov 2011, 14:33
Well I came in today, 4000ft all the way to KATHY then descended til visual at 900ft into the zone SVFR. Forward viz appeared nothing, but the Island came into view at 9km (from the TDME).

Clearance was not above altitude 3000ft, yet ATIS and VOLMET(S) had the cloud base at 900ft.

I could have requested to climb to MSA once inside the ATZ and request vectors to the ILS but I was already on left base for 09 so popped it down. If the viz had been worse (3km) then I would likely have requested this.

Friendly chap at the aeroclub confirms plans are in the pipeline to have a Class D up to altitude 3000ft then the TMA on top.

dublinpilot
7th Nov 2011, 15:16
Friendly chap at the aeroclub confirms plans are in the pipeline to have a Class D up to altitude 3000ft then the TMA on top.

I hope not. It would be a terrible thing for VFR only pilots, as we would then be restricted to crossings at 3000ft or below.

I can't remember the last time I went across there that low. (Not that I do it very regularly.) Normally I'm up around FL75 or so on a SVFR clearance.

LeeP-PA28
7th Nov 2011, 15:23
Yes, usually I am up at FL60, but that's visual SVFR. Like today, where there is a 'need' to get in, you have to drag along the bottom to be visual. I was FL60 prior to KATHY than had to descend as SVFR requirements.