PDA

View Full Version : ANR Headsets -are they any good?

Wander
17th Jul 2001, 17:32
In my company we just use headsets with the foam earpieces and "one ear off". I don't like it particularly but before I splash out and buy an ANR headset with my own cash can anyone recommend them/ a brand/ where to get them and are they worth it?
Cheers. :p

Ace Aviator
18th Jul 2001, 02:38
I have an ANR headset and would not go back to using anything else. Have been looking into headsets for my students, Lightspeed seem the best 25XL one. Quite expensive though. Look up their website. www. Lightspeed.com

Orangewing
18th Jul 2001, 11:36
Wander, a colleague I flew with recently uses an ANR headset and is very impressed,however he said it was uncomfortable whilst wearing sunglasses.Worth bearing in mind,especially on a 5hr sector! (don't know what make of ANR it was)
Regards ;)

flexmode
18th Jul 2001, 11:57
I use the Sennheiser ANR HMEC with flexible boom. Itīs perfect and i regret it that i did not buy it any sooner. Sunglasses are no problem at all with me. Even long sector days doesnīt give problems. The only thing is that the warnings from GPWS and TCAS are a little bit loud, but my company will re-adjusted them as everybody will use these headsets in future.

Chalky
18th Jul 2001, 21:11
I recently tried the Sennheiser HMEC-45KA ANC open-backed headset. I found the ANC effect was good - all the "low level" rumble was taken away and I was left with a light hiss. RT clarity was excellent. I could easily communicate with the F/O and Cabin Crew without using the intercom.

However, I found the headband very uncomfortable on my (bald) head, and the combination of the earpads and my spectacles made my ears hurt! For Ģ400 I would want something a bit more comfortable.

You can arrange a trial of the Sennheisers through Britannic Aviation in West Sussex if you're interested.

[ 18 July 2001: Message edited by: Chalky ]

fly4fud
19th Jul 2001, 00:41
Sennheiser are great (no, I don't get ANYTHING from them!). Use'em all the time. The 2 batteries last about a fortnight. The set is bl...y dear, but worth every what ever decimal of money you're using :)

bigbeerbelly
19th Jul 2001, 06:24
Lightspeed 20XL and very satisfied

Blindside
19th Jul 2001, 13:15
I purchased my Lightspeed 20XLs in the US for $399 and I'm extremely happy with them.

regards

Low_and_Slow
19th Jul 2001, 21:23
I think we are talking about 2 different types of headsets here. For the GA/small plane crowd, lightspeeds are great I've got a set). For the commuter crowd, there are a number of headsets that are all active--they provide little or no passive attenuation.

Which one are you interested in?

Wander
20th Jul 2001, 01:28
Thanks for your help boys. My concern is that we use the "nearest ear off" technique of comminication without the intercom. Is it therefore worth paying a wedge for ANR with one ear off? One of our Capts does this and his ear volume's at minimum rather than the normal 60%, so I assume it has some benefit.