PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft in the sea

dont overfil
4th Nov 2011, 10:41
I'm surprised nobody has picked this up. Tuesday the 1st November two independant witnesses saw an aircraft described as "a microlight type" descend into the sea near Montrose.

There has been an extensive search but nothing more than a small oil slick has been spotted. Another respected witness has come forward who saw a similar type of aircraft in the vicinity at the time.

The Police have been trying to contact all known aircraft owners in the area but nobody has been reported missing yet.

Have any of your buddies been holidaying in Scotland with their aircraft and have not been in touch? The Tayside Police would appreciate a call.

D.O.

Unusual Attitude
4th Nov 2011, 12:01
Heard about this on Wed via local press, on BBC website:-

BBC News - Police in Angus search for 'mystery' microlight (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-15569676)

I know there is a small private Microlight strip just at the North / Western edge of the estuary at Montrose as I've flown over it a couple of times and seen some activity.

No-one at Perth knows anything about it and there are lots of Microlighters there..... I do wonder if its been a big R/C Model or similar ?

mcgoo
4th Nov 2011, 12:07
Probably another Police UAV! :E

sitigeltfel
4th Nov 2011, 15:53
More here from the local press...

The Courier - More eyewitness reports (http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Angus/article/18653/more-eyewitness-reports-but-still-no-answer-to-angus-microlight-mystery.html)

172driver
4th Nov 2011, 16:16
I do wonder if its been a big R/C Model or similar

Could be an explanation. Some of these things are pretty big and without anything to compare it to - diffuse background, sea, etc - you sometimes can't really tell the size.

dont overfil
4th Nov 2011, 17:00
This has been front page news in the Courier for two days now.

If someone had lost a large model you would like to think they would put two and two together and inform the authorities.

D.O.

Union Jack
4th Nov 2011, 17:37
Can anyone - preferably Snoply - please rule out any connection with his thread at http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/467957-arbroath-rm-condor-kinnell-east-haven.html?

Jack

Oldpilot55
4th Nov 2011, 21:34
I have a vague memory of a microlight disappearing into the sea in the mid-70s. Similar location. Does that jog any memories?

Cusco
4th Nov 2011, 21:47
Did microlights exist in the seventies?

treadigraph
4th Nov 2011, 22:28
Did microlights exist in the seventies?

No. But it might have been yer Turbulent class of light aircraft in them days.

swopiv
4th Nov 2011, 22:30
Thanks for the concern Jack, but I'm OK! :ok:
I really hope this turns out to be a false alarm.

Union Jack
5th Nov 2011, 00:23
Swopiv - Good news, glad to hear it, and hope your planned trip works out well!

Jack

Pace
5th Nov 2011, 08:15
Probably no one reported missing because no one is missing! It is likely that such a microlight was in the area and dropped low over the sea for a bit of low level flying over water.
This may have given the illusion to the witness of the aircraft descending into the sea when infact it didnt.
Coasting in the aircraft climbing may have been obscured by a background of terrain or hills leaving the witness with the impression that the aircraft had gone down.
Sometimes what we think we see is not what we actually see and in this case I hope that is the case.

Pace

NorthSouth
5th Nov 2011, 16:17
Interesting, though, that if it was what you suggest - a microlight indulging in some low flying far enough offshore to dip below the horizon as seen from the shore, while not in RT contact with anyone - then if they had clipped a wave and gone in, or had an engine failure, the only thing that might have saved them was the off-chance of a dogwalker on the beach happening to see and report it. I'd like to think no-one thinks that's a good wheeze, but I have this nasty feeling....

NS

Maoraigh1
5th Nov 2011, 20:46
I have a vague memory of a microlight disappearing into the sea in the mid-70s. Similar location. Does that jog any memories?

A Fournier single seater? North of that area, I think. An artist and experienced ex WW2 pilot. Circling something and spun in?
I doubt a microlight would be obvious far enough away to disappear below the horizon.

biscuit74
5th Nov 2011, 21:11
That's correct Maoraigh. A Fournier RF4 belonging to Bill Burns. 1972? My recollection is that he went missing, wreckage found some days or possibly weeks later. It was believed to be due to low mist over the sea, since there was some fairly poor weather that day up the coast near Aberdeen. Bill had flown low level up the coast before, successfully.

Nice man, bonny aeroplane.

NorthSouth
6th Nov 2011, 10:45
G-AXJS, on 14 Oct 1972. En route Dundee-Dyce, had contacted Dyce and was told to report at Bridge of Don. Pilot had already turned back once due to fog. On second attempt the aircraft entered a fog bank at 200ft. 20 seconds later the port wing hit the water and the aircraft cartwheeled into the sea 1/4 mile off Skateraw. The aircraft had no artificial horizon.

Wonderful things card indexes :)

NS