PDA

View Full Version : CAA Permit to Fly - Non Certified EFIS

Ice123
4th Nov 2011, 10:05
Dear all,

First time posting here... but here we go.

Is it possible to install a Dynon Skyview system into an aircraft on a UK CAA Permit to Fly? This would of course be as secondary instrumentation, with primary instruments: ASI,Alt,compass etc, being of the original clockwork variety!

The difference between something certified and something non-certified is staggering. Needless to say, I wont be upgrading if the answer is no!

Thanks in advance.

Dan the weegie
4th Nov 2011, 11:51
Check with your inspector, failing that the LAA but as an owner of an LAA aircraft I'm pretty sure the answer is that you do not need to use certified parts, only that you are satisfied they are suitable for the job - and your inspector is as well.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Nov 2011, 14:54
You can't do anything to your aircraft without approval of LAA Engineering at Turweston, but the actual approval process should be cheap and easy and does not require certified equipment.

You need to involve your LAA inspector but also make a mod application to Turweston.

G

Mark 1
4th Nov 2011, 15:24
I think the point here is that he describes it as a CAA permit not an LAA one (I know they are all CAA permits really). AIUI there is a CAA airworthiness inspector who will be designated responsibility for the continuing airworthiness of that particular type or individual aircraft. I suspect that person would have ultimate responsibility for sanctioning substitution of parts or equipment.

If you could get it transferred to LAA then the approval of panel changes would be something within the remit of an LAA inspector and would be a lot simpler (and cheaper).

In principle, you don't have to comply with a type certificate as you don't have a standard CofA, so TSO'd equipment is not required.

BossEyed
4th Nov 2011, 15:27
The OP referred to a "CAA Permit to Fly", so I read it (possibly incorrectly) as being one of the Permit aircraft that the LAA do not manage.

CAP 733 relates to modifications (and operating etc) PtF aircraft in the UK - that'd be the place to start.
CAP 733: Permit to Fly Aircraft | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1330)

Ice123
5th Nov 2011, 00:02
Thanks for your replies... Yes, it is in fact an aircraft managed directly by the CAA (or will be...!) as an amateur built kit aircraft that's built outside of the remit of the LAA (sadly!).

I am just jacking the project up with the CAA and have yet to identify the right people to survey, inspect, sign for the aircraft.

The reason for the post is that I saw a second hand unit for sale which I am consider purchasing!

CAP733 - have read this but it only seems to talk about radio equipment, not avionics etc. More than happy to be corrected!