PDA

View Full Version : Family life

Josh
17th Jul 2001, 09:57
I've always been curious... How is the family life for you pro's? How easy is it to make time for things... anniversary, dance recitals, ball games?
Pt. 2-
How many days off do you get for every day worked (i.e. 5 on 2 off?
Thanks Y'all

Josh
18th Jul 2001, 23:35
please!!! I'm thinking of a career change and my wife is very skeptical about how much I will be home. Could someone tell me what the family life is like... has been like for you?
Thank you

fly4fud
19th Jul 2001, 00:34
Family life? Sure don't know what you're talking about. Come on, the company, the F/As, the captains, Chief Pilot, CEO, all of'em are my family. And what about those beauties we are allowed to fly? We take care of them, gently lowering them on the planet, avoiding turbulence, patting the control wheel and softly pushing the switches. So, family life is while you're at work, the company is your family.
Anyway, the rest of the real family has long run away...

:D :D

[ 18 July 2001: Message edited by: fly4fud ]

Josh
19th Jul 2001, 04:29
Thanks for the response... So would you advise a guy who you might call a "family man" to pursue his life-long dream of becoming a professional pilot?
GA
:)

bigbeerbelly
19th Jul 2001, 05:52
Imagine a life that you are never home when something important happens (christmas, birthdays, easter, anniversary, weekends) At the most, the first few years you will get 13 days off during the week. If you don't want to move your family to your domicile you will have to give up a lot of those off days to get to work on time. It is no wonder why this industry has the highest divorce rate. Good luck! ;)

AA76757
19th Jul 2001, 06:36
GA, there are lots of airline pilots who fall into the category of dedicated "family man" and who do it quite successfully. However, in the early years, until you have developed some relative seniority in a company, you will definitely have to make some compromises when it comes to family events. As you move up the seniority ladder, you will have more choices and control in your schedule.

AA76757
19th Jul 2001, 06:55
I forgot to mention days off. This will vary depending on the airline you work for, and the type of flying you do (for example, domestic versus international), and the level of seniority you have.

If flying is your life-long dream, then you should continue doing as much research as possible. Learn about the steps you will have to take before you reach the level of a major airline. Learn about the different types of schedules of commuter airlines as well as major airlines. Educate your family as much as possible. Make sure they know the good as well as the bad aspects of this career field. Then you can better decide if the "dues-paying" (missed holidays, poor schedules) of the early years is worth the good benefits later down the road.

wysiwyg
19th Jul 2001, 12:31
My alarm clock went off at 0545 local yesterday morning and I felt like I had had a lie in!!!

19th Jul 2001, 15:41
I'm a family man and an airline pilot of 20 years. Believe me, it works VERY WELL! But only once you've done what AA75767 (or whatever) has said. It's a great career, and so naturally there are some sacrifices to be made in order for it to be great!
Enjoy! :)

Josh
19th Jul 2001, 23:35
Hey thanks a lot everyone! y'all really have helped me out. I will keep checking this thread to see if anyone else offers input. Meantime, in exchange for your excellent advice, If anyone out there is trying to get into TV News, I can offer some advice if you want it. :D
GA

criticalmass
20th Jul 2001, 16:54
Gaining Altitude,

If your marriage/relationship(s) is/are solidly-based and well-founded, it/they will probably survive, no matter how long you spend away. Whether you are an Antarctic explorer, commercial heavy-jet jock or freelance lion-tamer, much depends on the durability and character of your relationships with family and those close to you.

For what it's worth, I also work in TV (news, sports, satellite uplinks, master control etc) and am very glad I dont have a wife or family to worry about when I get shunted from one end of the planet to the other at short notice. I also spent 10 years in the merchant marine; same thing.

If you want something badly enough, no matter how high a price you pay for it, you will think it worthwhile. I know I did.

Herod
20th Jul 2001, 23:57
Gaining Altitude. It depends a lot on what you want from the flying. If you want a big, shiny long-haul jet then yes, you will be away a lot. If you are happy to stay with a commuter airline you could be home a whole lot more. Having said that, being away and having say ten days away, five home, may suit you better than perhaps five on with maybe one night away, but only the two days off after it. It's very much what you make it, but warn your family beforehand to expect disruption whichever way you go; it's a fact of life in the industry. But breaking through the fog layer on a winter's morning is worth every disruption ever.

Josh
21st Jul 2001, 01:38
Dear Herod,
Thanks for the input... Got another question for you about commutters. What does a typical day entail? Would it be like flying from your home base in the morning to 2 or 3 points around the country and making it back to your home base by night fall?
<CriticalMass... also want to pass along my thanks to you. see you on an uplink sometime???> :p