PDA

View Full Version : Arbroath: RM Condor, Kinnell or East Haven?

swopiv
2nd Nov 2011, 08:29
Hi all,
I'm sure you can surmise my question from the subject line, but I will ask anyway. I have a friend in Arbroath I would like to visit. Has anyone on the forum landed at RM Condor, or know if it is possible for a civvy pilot to do so? And what exactly is the Arbroath danger area for? Gliding or something more sinister? Failing that, are East Haven or Kinnell in usable condition? I'm flying a microlight, so I don't need acres of tarmac, only a few hundred yards or so.
If none of these works out, I will probably just fly to Dundee, but I've been there before and it would be nice to find somewhere a bit different.

Also, while looking at my chart just now, I notice that Montrose is marked as active. Is it? Anybody know? I have never been to the museum there, and it might be a good day's fly-out.

Captain Smithy
2nd Nov 2011, 08:51
Condor isn't open to Civvys as far as I am aware. The DA is for Marines stuff I think (could be wrong - someone correct me if so). Kinnell was completely unusable last time I flew over it, which admittedly was a while ago. Don't know about East Haven.

Safest bet is to go into Dundee.

Smithy

mad_jock
2nd Nov 2011, 09:13
Condor isn't open to civi's.

The DA is for the training area they will have flares and other such stuff going up to about 2k and also without going into details the base has national security functions.

I think there are some private sites in the area though for microlights.

Captain Smithy
2nd Nov 2011, 11:53
Do the ATC still have a VGS at Condor? I went there a while back, probably about 2002 or 2003.

swopiv
2nd Nov 2011, 12:04
Thanks guys. I'll ask around at the club about the microlight strips, unless you have any details of them MJ?

Smithy: I also went up there, but probably about 1999/2000. Didn't get to fly however, as the cloudbase was about 50'. I did most of my gliding at Kirknewton. Good times. :ok:

mad_jock
2nd Nov 2011, 12:15
Don't have a clue to be honest.

If I ever planted my arse in a microlight I don't think it would be classed as a microlight any more. More than likely it would be classed as broken.

sitigeltfel
2nd Nov 2011, 15:38
I used to live at Easthaven and the old runway is used by a farmer to store bales and other farming stuff. A quick look at Google Earth shows this clearly.

662 VGS Air Training Corps still do cadet glider training at Condor as far as I am aware.

dont overfil
2nd Nov 2011, 15:57
Montrose is infested with rabbits doing rabbit stuff. (Digging holes everywhere).
D.O.

Union Jack
2nd Nov 2011, 16:11
Kinnell was completely unusable last time I flew over it

Probably a bit too "far"!:E

Jack

NorthSouth
2nd Nov 2011, 20:17
Kinnell was used by RAF C130s for night tactical landings within the last 18 months so it can't be that bad.

Arbroath is used regularly by the 662 VGS gliders and will be no problem for a microlight. All you have to do is find the right person to get permission from. If I was you I'd phone Tayside Aviation at Dundee and ask if they can give you a number for Lovat Fraser.

Montrose is seriously rabbit-riddled and shouldn't be attempted.

Esarthaven as others have said is basically a farm and not usable.

NS

PS the restricted area around Arbroath is for static line parachuting from balloons so as long as they're not active (and they're usually not) there's no risk to other airspace users