PDA

View Full Version : BA/Quantas Linkup

30th Oct 2011, 21:03
In view of the current Qantas problems and possible future problems is it a wise move for BA to give routes eg BKK-SYD to QANTAS.

crewmeal
31st Oct 2011, 06:29
After an independent tribunal ordered a permanent end to the industrial dispute with its union members, then I don't see a problem.

Passengers voting with their feet, well that's a different story altogether.

wiggy
31st Oct 2011, 08:23
After an independent tribunal ordered a permanent end to the industrial dispute with its union members

Not so sure it's that permanent, I think the parties have a time limit in which to reach agreement over the current dispute, otherwise a solution will be imposed.

I think the OP's question is a good one. Worse case - do BA want to be putting their codeshare passengers on a third party "outsourced" Longhaul service in the Far East?

IMHO the lawyers will have the codeshare agreement all sewn up and in this day and age the passengers won't care if they think they're getting a good deal.

Hartington
31st Oct 2011, 12:50
Given the Industrial Relations problems BA have had in recent years you could ask whether QF should have given more thought to whether they wanted to put their passengers on to BA. I accept that QF do still fly to London so they are able to carry their own pax all the way but that's not what actually happens all the time.

Maybe they deserve one another?

PS Qantas not Quantas!

2nd Nov 2011, 21:42
Given that Qantas seem to have a declining popularity (see reports on other threads) it would seem to me that BA would be better off keeping the routes into Oz rather than pax avoid BA in order to avoid Qantas.
Re BA industrial relations I would guess that with the intoduction of New Fleet the extreme views of som CC may well be tempered.

crewmeal
3rd Nov 2011, 06:27
It seems that both sides have had industrial relations problems. BA and the cabin crew, (which is still 'ongoing' judging by the negative comments elsewhere in this forum) now QF with their current problems with ground staff.

I doubt whether anything will change in the near future unless QF are suddenly sold off, then BA would have to look into codesharing on the kangaroo routes all over again.

In 2 years time SQ will probably have their low cost brand up and running, which take competition and yields to a new level.