PDA

View Full Version : Qantas grounds entire worldwide fleet

TightSlot
29th Oct 2011, 10:10
Posted FYI - in case any of you are booked and/or affected

Qantas grounds entire worldwide fleet | Business | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/oct/29/qantas-grounds-fleet-industrial-action?newsfeed=true)

PAXboy
29th Oct 2011, 12:41
... and so Qantas move into a new era that denotes them 'progressing' to the category of carriers that are now elderly and endangered. Why do I say that? Because the are trying to play hard-ball with people who have long standing grievances and, critically, contracts.

They are walking the same road as allt he European and American legacy carriers and look as if they are going to make the same mistakes. To be fair both sides have genuine points, of course, but neither side wants to lose and neither side seems to want to find a negotiated middle line. Ergo, they will all lose. Very sad but they will be in illustrious company as they slide down the scale to obscurity over the next decade.

radeng
29th Oct 2011, 18:00
Am I correct in assuming that all pax flying to/from Eu destinations will have to be hotelled and victualled at Qantas expense? Plus Eu compensation?

san diego
30th Oct 2011, 13:37
As QF is not an EU based airline the rules will not apply on return flights back to Europe and seats on other airlines are hard to find. For EU based passengers it appears they are telling customers to stay at home, contact a travel agent and re book. I don't think anyone should make any assumptions at the moment, if they are not flying again in a few days, they may never do so.

SpringHeeledJack
30th Oct 2011, 15:24
Whilst there may well be real reasons to play hardball, the very idea of such brinksmanship in these interesting times is, IMHO, just a bit short of mad. The competition, especially the Middle-Eastern giants will just capitalise on this event and hoover up the passengers, especially those wanting to travel over the xmas/ny period who won't want to risk disruptions. Image or the perception of it is everything and to take an internal issue external and affect your customers......never a good idea.

Shack37
30th Oct 2011, 16:12
From working in Australia some years ago I was not overly impressed by the power, and abuse of it, by the unions. At times it was just a total pi**take. If playing hardball at the risk of temporarily (IMHO) paralysing the airline brings the power crazy unions to their senses, then go for it Mr. Joyce.

In the end it can only benefit the pax.

radeng
30th Oct 2011, 16:56
sandiego

I thought the rules applied to airlines flying to the EU, as well as from it.

Anansis
30th Oct 2011, 18:12
sandiego

I thought the rules applied to airlines flying to the EU, as well as from it.

They do, but they only apply to flights which actually land at an EU airport. They do not necessarily apply to itineraries which have an EU airport as a final destination. This has the potential to catch people out if they have connections or layovers en route (as all ''Kangaroo' itineraries do).

For example, if a passenger has booked to fly Sydney-London via Singapore, they have no rights under EU Regulation 261 if the flight is canceled or delayed before they board the plane in Sydney. The first leg of the journey (SYD-SIN) is not covered by the regulations because it takes place completely outside the EU (despite the fact that (1) the itinerary ends at an EU destination and (2) you have missed your connection as a result of industrial action by the airline). If flights were grounded while the passenger was in Singapore then they would be able to enforce their rights under the Regulations as the destination of the specific flight in question is within the EU.

Unfortunately, I know this through bitter experience... :ugh:

grounded27
30th Oct 2011, 20:15
I see Quantas doing damage that will take years to recover from, if they resume operations. Foolish move unless their intent is to cease operations sell assets and restart paying slave wages as a new operator.

PAXboy
30th Oct 2011, 20:35
An independent tribunal in Australia has ordered a permanent end to the industrial dispute that has grounded all Qantas flights.

HKPAX
31st Oct 2011, 11:26
Mr Joyce has got roundly criticised for "madness" but in one move he got the Australian gumment (Julia Gillard et al) acting exclusively on his behalf on his dispute and ordering his employees back to work on pain of criminal sanctions. Hard-ball, for sure, but "mad" I would wonder, actually.

Yes, his precipitate action may have pi**ed off passengers, but wasn't the piecemeal action doing that anyway?

Shack37
31st Oct 2011, 12:15
Yes, his precipitate action may have pi**ed off passengers, but wasn't the piecemeal action doing that anyway?

I totally agree, his 100% grounding for a short period will cause less pax pain than a series of rolling strikes disrupting services over a much longer period and affecting a greater number of passengers.

grounded27
31st Oct 2011, 18:35
[QUOTE]I totally agree, his 100% grounding for a short period will cause less pax pain than a series of rolling strikes disrupting services over a much longer period and affecting a greater number of passengers. [QUOTE]

I see the complete opposite, rolling disrubtions will be seen as a union action most people place the blame on the employees. 100% shows a company willing to screw all their customers to throw a tantrum and make a point. Next time you buy a ticket and the fares are similar who would you choose. Australians used to fly Quantass out of patriotism in many cases, Quantass just lost that.

TSR2
31st Oct 2011, 19:56
Australians used to fly Quantass out of patriotism in many cases, Quantass just lost that.

I doubt that ... and it's QANTAS

Shack37
31st Oct 2011, 23:14
I see the complete opposite, rolling disrubtions will be seen as a union action most people place the blame on the employees. 100% shows a company willing to screw all their customers to throw a tantrum and make a point. Next time you buy a ticket and the fares are similar who would you choose. Australians used to fly Quantass out of patriotism in many cases, Quantass just lost that.

I think it shows a company with spheroids to take on the unions. The fleet was grounded for about a day and affected (if what I read is accurate) some 70,000 people. A string of rolling strikes, especially if called without advanced warning would probably affect a similar number of pax each time. Pat on the back for Mr. Joyce, "good onya mate"

grounded27
1st Nov 2011, 01:37
I doubt that ... and it's QANTAS

It will be soon refered to as WAS Qantass.

ejectx3
4th Nov 2011, 07:55
Or was qantas