PDA

View Full Version : MrCaptainSir!

Scando
13th Jul 2001, 18:15
They are very MrCaptainSirs. Lovely desciption of english captains by a female, scandinavian stewardess.
I know in Asia, it's a must to adress the captain as Captain. The aussies pretend not to like the C-word. In Scandinavia we hardly use it at all.
Is it easier for a scandinavian effoh to challenge his captain, simply because the whole setting is more informal than it appears to be in a british cockpit?
Does informality promote safety?

Chalky
13th Jul 2001, 21:30
In my experience this description no longer applies to UK airline Captains - certainly as regards across-the-cockpit communications. In my company the cockpit is entirely informal.

Captains may seem distant to junior members of the Cabin Crew, but that's usually only because we don't get much time to get to know them!!

FlapsOne
13th Jul 2001, 22:57
I only prefer/wish to be addressed as 'Captain' when the fare-paying public are in earshot. It's just part of the big PR exercise.

When they're out of the way, I much prefer first name terms (or acceptable nicknames!) within the entire crew. And, where I work now, that's just the way it is.