PDA

View Full Version : Parachutes and GA

kevkdg
19th Oct 2011, 15:54
Hi,

I come from a Gliding background and as such am used to wearing parachutes and understand the reasoning behind this with gliders, both due to flying in gaggles and their design.

However, I now fly a motor glider and wearing a parachute would give one a certain peace of mind.

Rare I know, but if a control malfunction occurred, or an important bit fell off, I'd much rather have some hope and something to do... like struggle to get out rather than the alternative of simply praying.

Are there any 'emergency' parachutes that are small and discrete and don't raise one up in the seat?

Cheers

Pace
19th Oct 2011, 16:10
Kev

If it gives you peace of mind why not? I can understand the desire for a parachute in gliders where you are flying in close proximity and where the aircraft design makes it practical to get out at short notice.
In most powered aircraft unless you are into aerobatics the need for a chute becomes less obvious.
Powered aircraft rarely break in a situation where they are not flyable most accidents are pilot induced rarely a broken aircraft or midair.
Then in powered GA consider how practical a chute would be? Could you get out quickly? what happens with the PAX?
Cirrus have a built in chute which lowers the whole aircraft to the ground and that system has saved lives.
Other VLA aircraft have chutes built in and I can see more and more new builds incorporating a chute system but to lower the aircraft in total rather than an individual to the ground.
If your powered glider has a quick release canopy or is easy to get out of and it gives you piece of mind why not.
I am sure there are others who will recommend a small compact unit to suit!
The only thing I would question is whether its more of a confidence booster rather than of future practical use?

Pace

Zulu Alpha
19th Oct 2011, 16:27
Most aerobatic pilots wear emergency parachutes. There are a selection of back and seat types here:
PARACHUTES (http://parachuteshop.com/emergency_parachutes_for_aerobat_glider_pilots.htm)

The500man
19th Oct 2011, 17:09
I've been looking into this and they are not cheap... £1200+ may not seem like much when it could save your life, but £1200+ is 10+ hours flying or quite likely 20+ in a motorglider.

kevkdg
19th Oct 2011, 18:52
Hi,

Thanks for replies.

Yes the motor glider I fly has a quick release bubble canopy. I have flown it with the standard sort of parachutes you find knocking around at Gliding Clubs, these tend to be the back pack variety. I have to remove the back seat cushion first though!

Not sure it would be a confidence booster, but certainly offers a little peace of mind.

I cannot afford £1200, so would be looking for a second hand one... I would say used but don't think that would be a good idea with an emergency parachute :}

So, am really looking for a good make... perhaps GQ?

Does anyone know how much the annual repack would cost and whether an annual repack is necessary, or provided it is stored correctly and only for private use, can it go longer?

Zulu Alpha
19th Oct 2011, 19:07
An annual repack is fairly cheap if you take it to your local parachute jumping centre on a wet day when they are not dropping. IIRC it was £25 each for two parachutes.

You can watch them inspect and repack as well as trying a pull on your ripcord to see what it feels like.

On the question of whether the repack is needed every year. I have had mine done every year for 6-7 years and not found a problem. However on the 1st repack they found that one of the pins was bent and had a crack. The pin retains the ejection spring for the drogue and is under quite a lot of pressure. This could have let go uncommanded, or possibly jammed when pulled in anger.

If you keep your parachute in a dry clean environment and look after it, you would think it would be OK for more than a year, and the canopy and lines probably will be. However, don't forget that you are sitting or leaning back on it for quite a few hours per year and are moving around so can break the hardware.

It would be interesting to get real data from a packer about the "problems" they see at inspections of emergency chutes which never get used. I would expect it is in the release mechanism rather than the lines and parachute itself.

Pegpilot
19th Oct 2011, 20:24
Hi Kevkdq

Like you, I'm from a gliding background. If 1200 quid is out of range, there are 'chute importers out there with whom you can spend a lot less on a functional rig. The reason they can do this is that in Europe (e.g. Germany), chute canopies legally time out after a certain length of time irrespective of condition. So these guys buy up life expired European chutes, import them to the UK, inspect and repack before sale. One such importer is Richard Boyton, although you may well find others. Less than 500 quid ought to do it. I got mine from him, and it recently passed its annual inspection from a guy I know to be an evangelist on parachute care and use....

Cheers

Pegpilot

Human Factor
20th Oct 2011, 13:47
Also try Strong Enterprises (http://www.strongparachutes.com).