PDA

View Full Version : Countries that allows free flight VFR...

Hodja
18th Oct 2011, 15:29
Inspired by the [Burning Question] VFR Flying: Can you do what you like? (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/466516-burning-question-vfr-flying-can-you-do-what-you-like.html) thread...

I've often wondered if there's a comprehensive list somewhere of countries worldwide that allows free flight?

Ie, countries where you *don't* need to file a flight plan when flying in VFR uncontrolled airspace.

Most of northern Europe, US, Canada (?) & Australia (?) certainly qualifies.

But how about...

- Poland & The Baltics?
- Spain, Portugal, Greece, Croatia, Romania, Ukraine?
- Egypt, Kenya?
- Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman?
- South Africa?
- India, Sri Lanka?
- New Zealand?
- Mexico?
- Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Peru?

Most of East/South East Asia definitely requires a flight plan (& various permits), including countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia & Hong Kong. I seem to recall Philippines didn't need a flight plan, but I'm not sure.

Places like China don't even allow GA at all.

Generally countries with little tradition of GA & a history of authoritarian regimes, tend to have a lot of flight restrictions and airspace ultimately controlled by the military.

Russia looks set to liberalise their airspace soon, but I reckon VFR without a flight plan may still be a no-no.

M.ZEADAN
23rd Oct 2011, 16:08
For egypt vfr not acceptable
you must fly over f085

ExSp33db1rd
24th Oct 2011, 01:05
New Zealand does not require a Flt Plan for VFR in uncontrolled airspace, and in fact one doesn't need it to enter CA, but of course you need an ATC clearance before entering - and a transponder.

One can file of course for a modest fee, but no routine flight following is done, and there is no need to pass routine position reports, the only real purpose is to establish a SARWATCH time, at which time the Dogs of War are unleashed to look for you if you haven't closed the flt. plan or amended the SARWATCH time.

Until recently it was possible to cancel, or amend, the SARWATCH on a free cellphone number, now an expensive call -or by landline or computer, which can be difficult at a remote location - so guess what, flight plans are not being filed because of the difficulty of amending the SARWATCH time for the return flight if it wasn't done on VHF whilst still airborne, which of course is still a possibility, but not always after landing.

Also, a previously free Online G.A. Met service was provided, now an annual, or monthly fee is required, and for the average Joe who would be happy to pay for Met. on a one-off basis -as one can for the flight plan when they want to fly - they are not prepared to pay in advance for a long term service that may be only infrequently used.

It will be interesting to see if these changes are reflected in future accident statistics. AOPA NZ and local groups are trying to bring pressure on the authorities to reconsider, but have had no success to date.

B2N2
24th Oct 2011, 12:55
In the USA Class E is controlled airspace, controlled meaning that you have radar and/or radio coverage with ATC.
Communications (apart from transponder) not required, recommended but not required.
Class E extends to 18,000' so you could fly coast to coast or Florida to Alaska without ever having to call anybody if you remain clear of other airspace.
Filing a VFR flightplan is not required either, day or night.

Piper.Classique
24th Oct 2011, 21:31
Poland is a joy for VFR below FL 95. No VFR flight plan needed unless crossing frontiers, radio only required for controlled airspace. Last time I went there no-one even asked if I had a transponder. And if you fly a glider, there are even areas where the wave soaring is good reserved for gliders to let you do diamond height without being moithered by those noisy things with props on the front.

Mind, I can get round a lot of France without turning the radio on, even if I do use a headset as ear defenders.

Ultra long hauler
25th Oct 2011, 02:55
- Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Peru?

Ecuador, mate!

I enjoy it every week!

###Ultra Long Hauler###