PDA

View Full Version : Delayed Solo

AOB9
17th Oct 2011, 22:31
I'm training for my PPL in Ireland. The weather has been so bad here that I have been unable to keep regular lessons. Work commitments also prevent me from rushing to the airport whenever there is a break in the clouds. The distance between lessons has been so extended ( often more than 2 weeks) that I'm not getting enough regular practice to build on my previously learned skills. I'm now at 18 hrs and in the circuit for about 6 of these. I'm happy enough with my skills to date ( as is my instructor). But I wonder if I would be better off waiting for an extended spell of reasonable weather (if it ever happens)and squeezing in a lesson every day for a week rather than trying to continue this way. Actually, I'm not in any particular rush to get my PPL, I'm enjoying the journey but it's also important that I'm not wasting €200 p/h taking a lesson once a fortnight. I would appreciate any opinions or advice.

CKnopfell
17th Oct 2011, 22:52
Try asking your instructor if you can continue with some of the later lessons if the weather is unsuitable for circuits. You could do steep turns, PFLs, or even start on Nav. This is assuming of course that the weather is suitable for any of these. That way you are staying current but at least progressing your PPL. Also, you could try a night flight just for the experience. Any time you do at night will count towards the 5 hours for getting a night qualification.

Good luck with the weather

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Oct 2011, 22:58
A very common problem.

The solution you suggest works for some people. The ability to predict decent weather and take time off from work helps!

Grob Queen
18th Oct 2011, 11:18
AOB9,
I know how you feel, as I have the same issues - sometimes its a month between lessons - last winter it was two months! If its any help I spent many lessons circuit bashing before I finally went solo after 27hours - one thing because I was being thick (!!) the other because of lack of continuity. Everyone tells me that continuity and practise is what I need to progress, and I believe them!

I'm hoping at some point to go down the route of taking time off work and cracking on when there is a week of good week of weather.

Frustrating isn't it...but I just try and be pragmatic about it and study when I can't go flying instead!