PDA

View Full Version : New British Pylons

Genghis the Engineer
14th Oct 2011, 07:32
So, it seems that we are to get new pylons in Britain...

BBC News - Pylon design competition winner revealed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15293918)

I don't think, from what I can see, that there has been any consultation with the GA community at-all about this, which is a shame.

However, also looking at these, this is a fantastic opportunity. These "T-pylons" could easily be painted in a high conspicuity colour on top so that from the air they are as visible as possible, without this being visible at-all to people on the ground.

There may well be safety benefits if they were.

Thoughts anybody? For me, I think that a little bit of polite campaigning may be in order.

G

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/2/68656/1041754/02_10.jpg

mad_jock
14th Oct 2011, 07:46
I think the whole point of the design is that they are invisible at relatively short distances.

jxk
14th Oct 2011, 08:56
It's not the pylons that get you, it's the wires! Now if they could be in multi colour high viz paint that would be really good and would certainly cheer-up the country side no end..

Oldpilot55
14th Oct 2011, 09:53
For all things Pylonesque, I found this website...
The Gorge - Electricity Pylons (http://www.gorge.org/pylons/faq.shtml)
but he doesn't seem to cover the new pylons. There were about 5 or 6 different designs but none with Mickey Mouse ears..you have to go to Orlando for that.

Morris542
14th Oct 2011, 10:33
I think the whole point of the design is that they are invisible at relatively short distances.

But I can still see them in that picture/representation!

On a serious note, during my training we did all our PFLs within 15 miles or so from Dungeness, we always had to be vigilant of the huge number of pylons around there. It was quite useful to be able to see them!

BackPacker
14th Oct 2011, 12:28
Was I the only one to look at the title and think "Hey, the Red Bull Air Race is back, with new and improved inflatable pylons, for safety?"

gpn01
14th Oct 2011, 12:33
Was I the only one to look at the title and think "Hey, the Red Bull Air Race is back, with new and improved inflatable pylons, for safety?"

Nope. I was thinking something pretty similar!

Whopity
14th Oct 2011, 13:02
These remind me of the T tail on the early Victor. The weak point is the suspension joint at the end of the T where it holds the diamond shaped cable support. Windage on the cables will be the same as on conventional pylons but now you have a single Jesus bolt holding 3 times the weight. How will they prevent lateral movement which would allow the cables to arc over to the pylon? A rigid joint could be subject to fatigue failure and will need some very expensive materials.

It is only a design competition and they are not bound to adopt them if they present engineering problems and undue cost. A pylon is the way it is because its cheap simple and reliable.

abgd
14th Oct 2011, 13:04
It would be even more valuable to the hang-gliding, paragliding and ballooning communities to have them more visible. And beneficial from the perspective of the power companies too as it would reduce service interruptions.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Oct 2011, 19:43
A few thoughts:

(1) I don't think it's impossible to make something like this fairly invisible from the ground and fairly easily visible from the air.

(2) I agree that it's cables that are the real issue - however pylons are the easiest way to work out where the cables are.

(3) I think that this needs representing formally to National Grid / RIBA / whoever - who is the right body to do that? I wonder if perhaps GASCo? Anybody here on the GASCo committee?, if not I don't mind having a word with them - I'm not on the committee, but know about half of them.

G

noelmc
14th Oct 2011, 19:55
The whole point of the old lattice pylons was they were efficient and lightweight and at a distance they disappeared.
(I think you can tell they were designed by Engineers rather than Architects).

This seems at odds with the requirements of both pilots and the Architects.
(This competition was run by Architects)

Deeday
14th Oct 2011, 22:44
This pylon design competition reminds me of when the Boeing 787 was launched. The first artist impressions showed the sleekest airliner the company had ever produced: curvy tail fin, pointy wing tips, shark-like look...

Then the time came when they had to actually build the thing.

mad_jock
14th Oct 2011, 22:59
if its designed by Architects they will fall over within a year of getting put up. Proberly by the failure mode Whopity has suggested.

Although looking at them I suspect they may get some buff body dynamics going on and coupled with some torsional natural frequency should twist the top off them.

CaptainChairborne
14th Oct 2011, 23:23
Pylon? Wots a pylon? Shurely these are transmission towers?

Isn't there an international convention (that everyone has signed up to except the UK) that towers and similar aviation-threatening structures are painted in red and white stripes?

patowalker
15th Oct 2011, 07:40
It would be even more valuable to the hang-gliding, paragliding and ballooning communities to have them more visible.

When I flew hang-gliders it was the shadows of the pylons that were most visible, so it didn't matter what colour they were painted. Sunnier climes though. :)