PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Flitemap profile view

giazul
12th Oct 2011, 20:00
I just started using Flitemap (latest 9.5.5 version) in flight and I like it. Nonetheless, I'm not able to get correct fix in profile view, when following a route. While I always get my correct position on enroute chart, in profile view the fix (a/c symbol) is correct in position and altitude up to the first waypoint; then the a/c symbol goes back to the departure position, keeping the correct altitude. Same thing happens at all other waypoints when they are reached: a/c symbol in profile view is pulled back to departure. Quite disappointing .. is anybody else experiencing somthing like this? Any solution found?
Thanks.

421C
14th Oct 2011, 07:28
I don't use it in-flight, so sorry not to be answering your question, but I thought it worth mentioning that the Profile view in FliteMap/FliteStar is caveated for a good reason - it can be grossly inaccurate!
See this paper: http://www.pplir.org/images/stories/pplir_files/jepp%20flitemap%20terrain%20article%20v12.pdf

From the conclusion page of that paper:

• The Jeppesen digitised terrain data in FliteStar is poor. It seems to systematically understate the terrain around mountain peaks by 500-1500’ and, in places, by over 3000’
• Consequently, users of FliteStar are advised to treat the Vertical Profile terrain display with great caution, and to be aware that the terrain elevation very close to the flight planned route may be thousands of feet higher than depicted

IO540
15th Oct 2011, 03:06
It may be a design feature to not show the aircraft on the vertical profile.

I have a vague recollection that FliteDECK does not show it either.

FliteMAP is the same program as FliteSTAR but has the moving map functionality added. The difference is only in the way the serial number is formed.

Jepp disconinued FliteMAP c. 2005. Nobody i know knows why. Ostensibly it was to push users towards FliteDECK (a rubbishy clunky add-on on Jeppview 3 which is Jepps approach plate viewer and their main big seller) which is their only official moving map app. However I suspect that they became aware of subtle bugs in FliteMAP and felt unable to fix them. Once i was flying in Greece and noticed that FliteMAP was showing me a few miles off. I should have been over some island but was well out over the sea. I closed the app, restarted it, and all was ok. I reported this to Jepp who as normal never replied. They dropped the product shortly afterwards.

The problem with FliteDECK (apart from being a piece of buggy clunky crap) is that the cost of running a European moving map is a lot higher now, and FliteMAP could also run the Jepp Raster Charts as a moving map.

This is why people doing European VFR touring have mostly moved to Oziexplorer. One ends up running mostly bootleg maps but the end result is a lot better and safer.

giazul
15th Oct 2011, 10:58
Thanks for the caveat: Peter H already has raised yellow flags on that and I woldn't ever fly blindly on those Jepp profiles!
Nevertheless that feature comes handy in flight planning and would be quite useful in flight as well , if it only worked correctly when onroute (infact I found in the meantime that it gives a correct profile fix when offroute, most of the time ...)
Pctechsupport at Jeppesen isn't able to give explanation, but they state on Sept '11

quote< FliteStar and FliteMap are the same program, it used to be called FliteMap, but it is now FliteStar. As for the GPS display. I have attached a document, please make sure you have followed the steps for your GPS receiver unit >unquote

So Flitemap is alive and latest version is 9.5.5 which came out in June '11.
Unfortunately, this version (which is vastly improved with weather info)has also collected a bug: it's not able to upload routes to my Skymap IIC GPS anymore!
They have been informed on that and also informed of the erratic fixing in profile view. Maybe they'll put a SW fix sometime: as I said, the prog is quite useful, even in flight, mostly for the flight info it provides along the route one is following.

EddieHeli
15th Oct 2011, 18:51
I don't know about current versions but having owned both I can assure you that Flitestar and Flitemap were definitely different as Flightstar used vector charts and flightmap used scanned images of paper charts, these were actually quite poor scans and the overlap between some maps was abysmal.

Memory map has much better scanned maps, but I still mainly use Flightstar for planning, although Skydemon looks just as good, actually probably better due to the notam overlay.

IO540
15th Oct 2011, 20:29
That is curious. I suspect that you had the Raster Charts product installed in one of those programs but not the other.

I have never seen any of these with "scanned" charts, other than the RC stuff, which you buy as extra.

MM has nicer maps for the UK, sure, but zero international coverage. Also it doesn't really support aviation as such. You can't do any sort of real route planning on it. IMHO it is good for one thing only, which is printing off bits of the CAA charts, saving you having to fly with the whole unwiedly thing.